Gallbladder removal at age 20-21?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone. So my boyfriend has been having abdominal issues for the last 9 months, and this morning his pain got really severe. He went to the ER and was finally diagnosed. He had a gallbladder attack and is going to get surgery to remove it. 

Anyone else experience gallbladder removal at such a young age? (I say 20-21 since he is about to turn 21 soon). Watching my boyfriend suffer for the last 9 months has just given me a lot of anxiety so I can't help but be worried for him. Also I keep seeing all these horror stories online concerning the surgery.

And any tips of what to expect after the surgery and how recovery will be would be appreciated. My dad had his gallbladder removed years ago when I was young, so I can't remember much about his recovery or experience. I just want to be there for my boyfriend. Thank you. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi emily5513,

I am 29 yrs old just had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago. I had mine removed laproscopic and it was super fast I was in and out of the hospital. I was in pain for 3 days couldn't sit or lay down I was on pain meds for a few days but as day passed it got easier for me to move around. As of now I have no problems at all. Make sure your boyfriend follows the doctors instructions NO HEAVY LIFTING until he gets the ok from the surgeon. Walking is good I was able to eat anything I wanted after 48 hours and haven't had a problem but everyone is different. He'll be ok sending prayers.

• Posted

Hi Emily, 

I’m actually 23 and I have gallstones  it can be quite common in people who have lost quite a lot of weight or if they have a family history with it. 

I’m currently waiting for gallbladder removal and when I have spoken to the general surgeon he advised that I need my gallbladder out because as I’m so young the gallbladder will keep producing stones. 

It could be the same for your boyfriend as he is so young too.

As for tips with the recovery, I can’t help yet. 

Hope this helps.

Lauren smile 

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out two weeks ago I'm up and about now. Still tender around where they cut. They told me to eat a low fat diet for a while, be mindful as your body needs to get use to the organ missing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.