Gallbladder removal diarrhoea

Posted , 3 users are following.

since removal running to loo is frequent. Its even worse now and sometimes no warning. Never happened when gallbladder was still in place. Anyone have helpful suggestions

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It's probably caused by too much bile dripping into the bile duct and on into the intestines as you no longer have a gallbladder in which to store the bile. I know it sounds crazy, and contrary to what you'd think, but try to gradually increase the fibre in your diet, as fibre soaks up excess bile. This is advice given to me by my daughter (nurse). Also try eating a low fat diet and avoid spicy foods for s while. You don't say how long it is since your surgery?

• Posted

Its 18 months.  I wake each day with nausea, i have bland gluten free diet. Just rice krispies breakfast and lunch, nausea wont let me eat more. Using dioralyte in pm then can eat small meal, boiled potatoes, chicken, just plain.   The diarrhea starts as soon as I am up, just runs out each time i urinate, sometimes no warning. Have to use pant liners.  As i am so nauseous what can i eat to increase fibre? My gastric system feels totally messedup.  They have me on antideps and i dont think thats helping. 
    • Posted

Think you need to see your doctor and ask for a second opinion or a referral to gastroenterology department. No wonder your on antidepressants if you've lived like that for eighteen months! Please make sure you drink loads of water or you'll dehydrate. Don't think fibre would help in your case. Insist on a referral.

• Posted

I think i didnt give you enough information and wonder if it helps to have more.  I can go a week sometimes with normal bms then i get a bout of this.  My appetite during the good spell is better.  I only use dioralyte when necessary. The nausea i treat with buccastem which dr gave me but find i am having to use it more often recently, maybe it was because i had norovirus last month.  Sometimes recently looks like bile movements, others more normal.  The unpredictability is the real problem. Someone suggested using Questran and i wonder if my gp would give this to try.
    • Posted

Hi Ann

When you get diarrhoea could there be something you've eaten which could cause it? The fact that it sometimes resembles bile would suggest that. For instance, I can't eat a lot of fatty food in one meal (I wouldn't eat a curry in a restaurant for instance). I'm ok with small amounts of fat now. I also find spicy foods upset my stomach. When I was in hospital, an old lady in my bay was in a lot of pain with her gallbladder. I noticed she was eating lots of chocolate. Nobody had told her to avoid fatty foods.

I take Omeprazole to help with digestion. Recently went to GP to ask how long I'd need to take it. GP (lovely young woman) didn't know and admitted she knew nothing about gallbladders!!! This was my first visit to GP since I had my liver resection in March, so lm not the sort who's always at the doctors. I do feel quite very unsupported bearing in mind I had two major surgeries close together alongside a cancer diagnosis.

I also asked regarding meds I took until my last surgery for hypertension. I was taken off this in hospital and told not to restart until systolic was 160 or more. I'm four months post op and so far highest reading was 147 and lowest 119. She obviously didn't have a clue and kept changing her mind. I came out wondering why I'd bothered making the appointment. Basically I have to wait until I see the surgeon in September. All our GPS seem to be locums whom you see once, then never again. It's not a satisfactory situation.

You can only ask your GP about Questan. I hope he's more clued up than my GP!

• Posted

Thanks for your input.  No it cant be what im eating as i only eat plain, chicken and rice or potatoes each evening.  Some days the d is less, some days the nausea is less, but it just isnt going away completely.  Taking warfarin im sure isnt helping but no option. I wonder if she might give me omeprazole to help?  Does it quell nausea? I dont think it is helping as they are trying to get me onto an antidepressant as i am very anxious.  Chicken and egg, is this physical or am i making it worse by worrying?   What a mess and cant see way out
    • Posted

Think Omeprazole is for digestive system generally. I don't get reflux or heartburn, so it may help you. You can only ask.

Worry makes symptoms feel worse I think. It certainly needs sorting.

• Posted

Seen gp. Doesnt want to mix too many meds so has left me with buccastem for nausea as required. Thinks it will just settle down in time.  Meantime left aswas and with anti depressant.  Feel drowsy and not with it now.
    • Posted

Is it the anti depressants that make you feel drowsy do you think? It must be horrible for you on top of everything else.
    • Posted

Yes i think theyare heavy duty bu they assure me in a baby dose, i just cannot tolerate them.  Surely others must have this problem?
  • Posted

I know your situation all too well. I'm about 14 months post op and it's a success if I go a couple days without any diarhhea. I hate it and it really starts to affect your mental health, which is the last thing we need! I know healthy diets are a must without a gallbladder, but I'm a young adult and it's very difficult to stay away from the fast food chains and bar food when that's what all your friends want. I haven't gone on any specific diet, but am in the process of recording what works and what doesn't. I started a food journal and write down if it's a yes or a no and if it's a no then I look at what ingredients went into it and consider all the options. I read through some of what you said and if a gluten free diet isn't helping then try switching it up with other foods and make sure you take notes on what doesn't help. I am going to see a GI physician (I still have pain) and a nutrionist, so I'll let you know if they give any specific diet advice!

• Posted

Hi

I'm 67 and also am finding it hard to find healthy foods on the menu when I'm eating out. I'm four months post open surgery and haven't really had many issues with digestion/ diarrhoea due to being careful to avoid fatty and spicy foods, but there is definitely a chips with everything attitude, presumably because it's an easy option for pubs and fast food outlets. It's surprising that while they cater for gluten free and vegetarian etc they don't cater for anyone with a problem eating fats and there are lots of us. I now have a mental list of options I can eat at lots of places e.g. McDonald's do a grilled chicken wrap (no fries, no sauce, no cheese), Toby Inns carvery (without Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes), Harvester do grilled simply chicken with a jacket potato, Pizza Express do a lower calorie pizza, etc etc. Sadly, I avoid curry and fish and chips unless it's home made and I can make a low fat version. But wherever we go, I do find my choice severely limited. I wish some of these outlets would think about customers who can't eat large amounts of fat or even those on a diet (thousands at any given time).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.