Gallbladder removal help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a large gallstone advised to have gallbladder removed what are pros and cons?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Good Morning - my gallbladder surgery was fairly simple and so was the recovery. The only problem had for the first few weeks after surgery was eating certain foods. It took my body a while to adjust but I was back to normal in no time. Just stay away from the fatty foods.

The surgery is basically three small incisions if you're having it done laproscopically and they also use the navel as another entry way.. My thinking is, they are not going to cut you, the old traditional way was fairly invasive with a much longer recovery time. 

There are many pros. The first one is by having it removed you're saving a disaster later if the stone blocks the bile duct and you're keeping your pancreas healthy and out of danger. The cons. Well, I'm sure there's always cons to every medical procedure but this one is fairly common and routine. Other than the anesthesia always being a risk and a slight chance for infection, along with a surgeon that might make an error, those are all common risks and very small. 

My advice, get the thing out and you'll feel a lot better. Again, Gallbladder removal is very common and rarely ever do you hear of any major issues.  Good Luck!!

• Posted

You have all made me feel much more comfortable about the procedure. Having been through electric shock treatment several times I am used to that. But it was not invasive and did not have a choice a whole different world of medicine.

Thanks.

• Posted

Had had my GB removed and was glad to be rid of the pain. Glenn06752 said it all very well. Good luck to you and remember to ask about foods to eat after surgery.

the  GB has enzymes that break up fatty foods so for awhile some people need to stay away from fried fatty foods while others take enzymes by prescription to help thru the adjustment process. 

• Posted

Thank you. Have just started a low fat diet cutting out anything fatty so will ask but assume continue this. About how long ago did yours get removed? Are you back to a normal diet now? Has taught me a lesson never get complacent and just eat what you like. Being retired I was enjoying myself too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.