Gallbladder removal in 2 days!! Petrified

Posted , 10 users are following.

So I was admitted to hospital just over 2 weeks a go with a bad infection in my gallbladder, was given IV antibiotics and painkillers I was discharged 2 weeks ago today, I have my op on Friday and I am so scared!! Although I want it removed as its ruining my life I am so scared that it will cause more problems having it out as I have heard and read mixed reviews about having a gallbladder removed.

None of my family or friends seem to understand how I feel. Please help 😢

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I understand how you feel, I'm still waiting to be seen by the consultants. I sometimes think it not good to read the bad experiences and I now try not to read them. My father in law has had his gall bladder out and has had no problems since! That keeps me going. Just think how it will make your life better... I think I will be eating my own words in a few months time and your be telling me it's all fine!
    • Posted

It's been the worst few months of my life, going through all of this, constantly in pain, I know I need it out as I had gone to see the consultant and I was admitted from there with the awful infection. I'm so fed up with everything. I'm really scared too
  • Posted

Hi 

had mine out 18 months ago and no problems .. My quality of life has improved so much without it.. I can eat anything .. I do get indigestion with bread but Hey after the agony with gallbladder pain I just avoid bread ... 

Try not to think the worse ... Thinking of you Sally 

• Posted

My mum had hers out years ago and does just fine. x
  • Posted

Had mine out in June after months of agony, and haven't had any major issues since. It was a relief to have it out finally.
  • Posted

Yes I understand how you feel.

Remember that most of what yu read on this site will be from people who have had problems after the operation. There are also countless others who have no problem after the operation.

I had my gallbladder removed 6 months ago.

I am better than I was and do not regret the decision to have the operation.

I still have to be careful what I eat and it is possible that either I have IBS or a stone is stuck in my bile duct. Going for endoscopy at beginning of December and hopefully that will show if anything is wrong.

I am not saying this to worry or frighten you but simply telling you how it is for me.

You will have to rest for a bit after the op, no lifting for atleast 3 weeks.

Hope everything goes OK for you

Praying for you

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi I am 5 weeks post op feeling great , can eat anything I like, two days of discomfort, no looking back.i was petrified like you but attacks will only get worse

good luck

• Posted

Hi all. Thanks for all of your comments. The last attack landed me in hospital with a horrendous infection and a very angry and ikky GB. I will be relieved to have it out, I'm just so scared of the surgery, can't take much more pain, this thing has controlled my life for months now.

I'm only 26 and it's taken its toll on me, have been unable to work for a while due to the pain of the attacks! Luckily I have amazing employers!!

Even my 10 years step daughter is looking at the fat content in things to see if I can eat it and she spent her half term back and forth to the hospital to visit me.

I know I will be in some pain after the surgery I understand that, I guess I'm overly anxious as I had continued trips back and forth to the doctors with tummy pain and kept being sent away with more prescriptions for antacids and being told its acid reflux it'll sort itself out!! To finally going to the doctors after a bad attack and one doctor said she thought it might be gallstones.....this was 2 months a go today.....so cross that it's been missed for so long as "I'm not old enough to have gallstones"!!

Sorry for the rant, don't feel I have anyone I can talk to about my fears and anxieties as I'm putting my family through enough with being so poorly.

Will keep you all updated xx

• Posted

I was nervous too going into mine, but they gave me something to relax me and they wheeled me in, hooked me up, took a couple deep breaths, and next I know I was in recovery.

Good luck with your surgery. May it be quick and painless.

• Posted

Hi 

after you have had it removed you will realise the agony you have endured ....  I had a sickness bug a few weeks ago , I was like this is nothing on what I went through with my gallbladder... And I too was absolutely terrified of the operation but , it went well . I found the pain after the operation was controlled by paracetamols ... It's not agony just sore .. And I within 2 days was wanting to go out do things etc cos you feel so good without your rotten gallbladder... The warning is take it easy ..cos you feel so so much better you forget you've got internal stitches  and we all do it we overdo it I cleaned the house !!!!! Swept the floor and boy did my abdominal muscles ache ... Didn't do that again for a few weeks ... But really you will feel euphoric   After the operation I felt instantly better in myself ... Can't explain it ... Realised how rough I had been feeling constantly .. Let us know how it goes and try not to worry 

• Posted

Hi Yellie,

Im sure your be fine.

Could you help me.

My daughter your age 3 months ago had loads of pain went to A AND E and had pain in stomach. They were going to whip out appendix and she discharged herself and went to see a private doc who put her on antibiotics.  She is back at work all feels fine but during ultrasoud they found incidentally a large stone in gall bladder.  They are saying this is from appendix infections.  They have given her some laxaives although she does not appear constipated.  And I believe she will need an endoscopy soon.

She may is at the very beginning of all of this.

The doctor thinks the initial flare up was from appendix.

Could this have been stone in gall bladder.

He is saying this is not related?

My daughter is 26yr too.

Any info in this matter would be appreciated.

She has a very intensive work status, sometimes travelling and I am really worried about her. 

What were you symptoms initially?

Could this flare up be purely from the gall stone?

Good luck with your surgery.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi don't be scared. I just had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago. I know everything will be alright.
  • Posted

Had mine out almost seven years ago. I was in pain with really bad indigestion and couldn't even drink water leading up to my surgery. I went to A&E thinking they'd keep me waiting hours then send me home with meds...how wrong I was! I was admitted to majors and bloods came back ok. A scan next day revealed loads of little stones and I had surgery the following day. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had indigestion since. Overall it was great however I now have Bile Salt Malabsorption. If you have an understanding doctor that goes a long way if you have any similar side effects. If you get Diahhrea afterwards and still have it a year later you will probably have it for life. I was given bile binding meds 1-2 daily and they've been a life saver, I really only need to take them now and again.... Surgery if in that amount of pain is really what you need xx
  • Posted

Forgot to add, had surgery done by keyhole, all was ok, nothing to report 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone ☺️ feeling a little better about it now, I guess coz I feel better now coz of the antibiotics I'm in 2 minds about it all and then I have a niggle and I think stop being stupid it needs to come out.

Will keep you all updated xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.