Gallbladder removal issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I'm now 14 weeks post op of having my gallbladder removed. Still sicker than ever and I continue to lose weight. I felt like I was getting a little better and got my appetite back a few weeks ago but in the past couple of weeks I have gotten worse. No appetite, pain under ribs on both sides has been constant for over a week now, nauseous and sick to my stomach, weak and heart palpitations. Has anyone else started to feel a little better after feeling sick for months then gotten worse. I feel doctors haven't tested for the right things. The constant pain under both my ribs and across my abdomen concerns me.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am sicker than ever post-op 10 months. The ribs, nausea, gas, trapped gas, bloating, pressure in stomach and sometimes chest. Cramps on occasion. Loosing weight by the day. This is horrible.

Scared and so tired of suffering.

• Posted

Had tests in ER, CT scan, blood work. Nothing showing yet. Friday I go to GI to talk. May order endoscope. i dread anything they would order for me to take orally as I am so sick now. I thought I had gastritis but now not so sure.

Do you have ibs too? I hope I you get well soon. Are you getting any tests?

• Posted

I had another ct scan and everything came out ok. Waiting to hear back on my bloodwork. I feel like something is going on that can't be picked up by ct scan or ultrasound. Its something in my gut that maybe an endoscopy can detect. Maybe my stomach is inflamed, bacteria in the gut or SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth), someone mentioned SIBO they can do a breath test for this. I just don't know. My GI doctor is not helpful and doesn't help to find causes that can't be seen through imaging or bloodwork. I also know there can be too much bile or not enough and there are medication or supplements to help with both. The problem is figuring it out and having a good GI help you to do that. My current GI says he doesn't know what's wrong with me and wants to refer me to someone else. They always made me feel hopeless. Its tough because now I have to wait longer to get in to a new doctor for help. How are you feeling? Do you feel your GI tries to help you figure things out?

• Posted

Hi i am nearly 2 year post op, for the first year my appetite decreased, so i was eating virtually nothing, then nausea started for weeks on end, and is still persisting on/off, i then was diagnosed with having Bile acid malabsorption, ive lost 3 stone in weight, still cant eat, literally having to force food down, as i never ever feel hungry or thirsty, just scared of losing more weight, already stick thin. sorry to be blunt, hope you improve soon.

• Posted

I'm sorry your going through this and for so long. 😦 Were you sick for awhile before your gallbladder was removed? Do you still feel nauseous or sick now or mainly have loss of appetite?

• Posted

i was sick sometimes before removal and usually had not digested my food, but that was mainly when i had the gallstone pain. i just feel nauseous for at least half of every day and usually vomit on a morning, i also have been diagnosed with B.A.M but cannot find a tablet that is not going to bind the rest of my medication together, wish i still had my gallbladder, they dont tell you this can all happen before removal 😏

• Posted

Yes they don't tell you this. I wish I had my gallbladder still to. All I had before it was removed was occasional pain where the gallbladder is, mild nausea and sludge in my gallbladder. All those symptoms were manageable and not persistent all day and did not feel nearly as bad as the symptoms I have now. I don't think my gallbladder needed removed. One week before I had it removed, I had pain in my upper abdomen that I hadn't felt before, severe nausea all day and loss of appetite and was very fatigued. So I called my doctor's office and told them of these symptoms and the nurse called back and said the doctor thinks you need your gallbladder out. So I agreed and trusted what the doctor said. Felt sicker after having it out and 3 weeks later doctor did an endoscopy and ulcers were found. They treated the ulcers and that pain went away. I wish he would of done an endoscopy when I told him of my new symptoms and I could of been treated for the ulcers and i don't think I'd be in this situation. Nothing I can do now but keep pushing and moving forward and pray and hope to get better. I hope you get better soon. Its a very tough road. Its strange how most recover well from gallbladder surgery but others don't. I'm happy for those that do but i feel others don't understand when you do continue to have issues. It's also hard finding a good GI doctor who wants to help you figure things out, at least it has been for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.