Gallbladder removal pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I am female age 47 and slighly underweight. Had gallstones and suffered several mega attacks. I cut out fat as much as i could and lost over a stone in weight as before i ate a lot of cheese and chocolate. I had my op on thursday. It is now saturday and still in so much pain. I have had to 'sleep' sat up on sofa with pillows and cushions as no way could i get on the bed. I'm trying not to move much as stomach is agony. It is very bloated and gassy inside. I have had really bad shoulder pain as well so have been using a hot wheat bag on it. Need help to get off sofa and go up the stairs to the toilet. I have been eating and have not been sick. Have not passed wind or opened bowels yet. Is this normal to feel so bad 3 days after op?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi there

Well done for getting through the op, I think the bloati g is normal and shoulder pain due to abdomen being pumped up with gas. It is routine for the surgeons to give you intravenous morphine at the time of op for pain relief, any opiate drugs will bung you up so I would (after chatting with dr or pharmasist) get some Senna or suchlike, I discovered this after my gb removal and spoke to my gp, relief was within 24 hours.

Good luck and healing thoughts.

• Posted

Yes it is perfectly normal how you are feeling.

You have had major surgery so your body needs time to heal inside and out.

Try peppermint tea and walk about to ease gas pains .

The anesthetic also makes you constipated . I was sent home with laxatives.

Everyone recovers differently , I had 7 week off work and still then didn't feel 100%.

All the best for a speedy recovery .

• Posted

Thank you for your comments. Its just horrid being in pain and not being able to do anything and my husband and two children are running around after me! I need to give it time but hey, i 'm impatient!

• Posted

That is so normal. Everyone recovers differently. My husband had his surgery a week ago and is still dealing with some pain, but it improves each day. Hang in there!

• Posted

Yes, very normal.

I am now 2 months post op...it get's better, I promise. It's a matter of patience though and it can be tough.

Hang in there.

• Posted

I know you feel bad but the more you move around will help you get rid of wind and get your bowels moving.hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Try supporting you stomach with a pillow when you move around hope it helps.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your comments. Yes i am drinking peppermint tea after eating and permanently have a cushion on my stomach. Hope tomorrow i feel a bit better.

• Posted

You must take it easy,its no small op,as many people say, drink lots water, no lifting,forget keep fit for a while,can damage you internally, if you are not happy,get to your surgery, only you know your body,;; im 2 years still getting there cant stand anything tight around my stomach, but a dam site better than what i was,;;

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.