Gallbladder Removal Post Op

Posted , 7 users are following.

I honestly just wanted to post something positive. I know there are always individuals out there perusing the internet for answers, comfort, and advice for relief. I was one of those individuals. I felt pretty hopeless.

I will say though, that there is light at the end of the tunnel. As much as it sucks, time is the best healing. I dealt with digestive issues for as long as I can remember and within the last few months they had gotten worse. Finally dwindled it down to my gallbladder functioning at 0%. I had it removed and was ready to feel better. Wasn't the case, as recovery was no fun for me...

I was nauseous, I couldn't eat, I hurt, I couldn't sleep.. I was miserable. Still looking to the internet for answers and relief. I was very discouraged, and was convinced that I had gone through surgery for no reason. But like others had stated on this board, I had to give myself time. Some people bounce back so quickly and others make this surgery sounds like its no big deal, but I'm here to tell you, that surgery is surgery and your body HAS to heal.

When you feel like your about to lose hope... and that you are going to feel like crud forever... know that:

1. You're not alone

2. This too shall pass.

3. Time is healing.

4. Be patient and kind to yourself.

Best of luck to anyone who reads this.

4 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this. My symptoms came in so fast and I found I had gallstones and had my gallbladder removed. Since my surgery I still have reflux and pain it’s been a little over a month. My dr did a scope and said I have gastritis. Lots of irritation and bile and reflux. So I’m take nexium and sucralfate and I hope that these meds along with diet changes will heal my gut. I am tired of being sick as this all started back in October with a vitamin d deficiency and from there just turned into something else. I’m only 35 but I feel like I’ll never feel good again. I hope and pray that I can heal my gut and recover. Thank you again for sharing. 
  • Posted

Thank you Anita for this wonderful post! Truly appreciate the message you have put on here for reassurance. I’ve recently had my gallbladder removed ten days to be precise. It’s been a nightmare due to the fact the Gaul stones were very large and my tummy button has really been cut about a bit. I ended up with a stomach drain, but relieved it came close thank me having the full operation. 😅so counting my blessings. I get good and bad days pain is up and down. Washing and general care exhausts me. 

I have felt very tearful most days but guess it’s her a shock to my body what it’s been through after a year waiting for this operation and numerous visits to A and E. The positive side it’s turned my life around and I’ve lost over 3 stones in weight. I was never greedy with food just naughty with cheese 🧀 lol which I’m convinced caused this problem for me. 

I’m starting the hip and thigh diet, Rosemary Conley when I’m back to full health it’s a brilliant plan for life. The lady who wrote this diet did so after her own emergency Gallbladder surgery over 30! Years ago she looks amazing . 

Thank you for your post any tips greatly appreciated I’ve felt a bit alone going through this! No one knows how rough gallbladder health problems really are! 😂I’m training to be a counsellor so it’s another experience I can use if, someone says you don’t know what it’s like to be ill. 

They told me at the hospital that my bile duct was nearly blocked I don’t know what that would have meant for me. But glad to still be here. Warmest regards Joanne xx

• Posted

Thanks for the words of inspiration! So how long did it take you to feel somewhat normal again if I may ask?
    • Posted

I had my surgery on the 10th of July. The rest of that week and the next week were hell. By the middle of the third week, I noticed a huge change. This week so far has been wonderful. I actually have some energy and I can actually drink coffee again.  I’m so thankful. Hang in there if you are going through the ringer. I promise it will get better. 
  • Posted

May I ask when your pain finally ended?
    • Posted

It took a solid two weeks for the pain subside. It was hard sleeping on my right side. 

Best wishes to you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.