GALLBLADDER REMOVAL SURGERY IN 10 DAYS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

After 3 years of on and off pain, bloating and avoiding foods, I am having my gallbladder removed .

I'm nervous about the whole thing , so I suppose I'm just on here to seek some reassurance!

Many thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You will be fine! It's not totally a piece of cake - it will take you about 2 weeks to be able to do normal activities again, but it was not bad at all. I had mine 2 months ago and am completely healed and can eat whatever I want. Check this forum for postings similar to yours, there were several people who posted similar concerns recently and had lots of reassuring responses so those may help you feel better, too.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have, so just let me know. It's normal to feel nervous but for the vast majority of people the surgery is simple, you go home the same day, you have discomfort but it's tolerable, and you are better and pain-free in a few weeks!

• Posted

It's not easy for everyone to bounce back, yes the pain from gallbladder goes away , but side effects vary. From constant nausea food taste and smells funny , acid bile reflux I am a tiny bit better 6 weeks after surgery but not well . Im trying to be positive and hopeful still though

• Posted

Hi, i am 5 weeks post op and had many misgivings about surgery - have posted on here over the last year during a long wait for surgery on UK waiting list.

​All I can say is, try not to worry (you still will, I did, despite reassurances) but honestly it ws not nearly as scary as I imagined. Was not really in pain at first but felt sore and had a few pains on days 3 - 6 which were quite manageable with paracetmol in my case, the only issues I had being a super dry mouth and sore throat that turned into a chest infection and cough, this did slow me down somewhat with recovery. How the future will be it is too early to say really - I am not a youngster and I have got other health conditions at present, but glad that gallstones are gone. It takes the body time to adjust to life with modified digestion and no gallbladder of course, ideally we would keep all our organs but sometimes surgical  interventions are needed.

Best of luck with your surgery.

• Posted

I can't really help at the moment because I haven't had mine removed yet but surgery is on Wednesday so may be able to help then. I'm also very nervous but keep telling myself that it needs to be done and hopefully I will feel much better after. Good Luck for yours.

• Posted

Hi, you will be ok just try to be really good with what you need to do to help your recovery.

i would honestly say keep off dairy and go for free from or lacto free, I've had to get all this for my daughter now and it 100% is easing the pain of not eating right after.

what is good for one is not always the same for another it seems, but small meals often is far better than overloading.

the op itself is easy, the gas coming out of your body is not nice but walking about really does help get rid of it and she did find mint tea helped.

soya is also good.

but she said she would rather have had the gallbladder removed than have gone on as it was, so a learning curve but take each day slow.

best of luck to you, you will get there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.