gallbladder removal waiting list

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there. I've been suffering gallbladder attacks for about three years now and back in the beginning of October I was admitted to hospital. My LFT's were very high so they immediately put me on IV antibiotics. The next day I had an ultrasound which showed I have multiple stones, sludge, and an enlarged gallbladder. I was on fluids for dehydration. Three days into my admission, I developed a fever and I was struggling to breathe so they changed my antibiotic and I needed oxygen. Two days later I was feeling better but the LFT markers were getting worse so I had an MRI scan which found my bile duct was inflamed also but was not blocked. I had nine days in hospital but by the end I'd had enough and wanted to go home. They agreed to let me go but were concerned about my still raised LFT's but gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics to go home with and I had to go back for a repeat blood test to make sure they'd settled. I was told surgery should be around two months time and I was to stick to a low fat diet. All good so far. I went for my repeat bloods and my LFT's were still 3 times higher than normal. I visited my gp who said just wait for surgery now. I got a letter for pre op for the 27th of November and I was expecting to get a date for surgery but no. I was told it could march before I have surgery. I gave another blood sample and my LFT's are still abnormal. I am scared of having another attack. I can't believe I have to wait another three months + for surgery, taking it to over five months. Is this usual? I'm desperate to get back to normal. I'm sick of feeling under the weather and although I haven't had any serious pain, I am still suffering from a stitch every day. It sucks. I just want the bloody thing out now. I'm scared to death of having another attack but they keep telling me I won't as long as I stick to low fat. I don't feel very reassured when there is still inflammation. They also told me that if I have another attack, the clock resets and I have to wait again. I'm not very happy. :-/

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi lisa98146.

reading your thread was like i had written it myself just the same as happened to me got out of hospital for the second time just over a week ago 9 days this time 8 days previous . waiting for lft to return to normal but its taking ages and when i have a flare up im back to square one got to go for endoscopy on monday to see if theres a stone in there couldent see any on mri i have multiple small stones in gallbladder which is inflammed they cant operate whilst my lft are abnormal pretty fed up with the whole situation can not plan to go anywhere because im frightened of another attack . i was jaundice on both occations very sick which then i became de hydrated and needed to go on drip  wouldent want that to happen whilst abroad on holiday i have appointment on the 22nd of dec with consultant to decide what the next step is after endoscopy results hope i dont have to wait to long for op . and the same for you let me know how you go on linda.

• Posted

:-( so sorry you are in the same situation. I expect you feel the same as I do, just take it out and start recovering? I was really poorly and it frightened me to be honest. I expected to recover quickly and didn't. They keep saying that as long as I stick to the very restricted low fat diet then I *should* be ok to wait for surgery. I'm not convinced. They told me my LFT's should have returned to normal by now but they haven't. I haven't got any more appointments to see anyone or any more tests. I just seem to be stuck in limbo and scared to death every single day of having another attack and I have just a little stitch in my side reminding me I'm still not well. While I was in hospital they seemed so concerned about letting me out with raised LFT's and they kept me in to have IV antibiotics and the doctor said he wasn't a risk man and wanted to keep me until LFT's were normal. Then i saw another doc the next day and he agreed to discharge me saying he was confident ny LFTs would normalise at home with a course of oral antibiotics. Now I'm out they don't seem bothered. I just have a horrible feeling things aren't going to go smoothly and I just want them to get on with it. It's horrible isn't it? Feeling life is on hold completely? I suppose at least I am on a waiting list for surgery, as long as I don't become unwell again. I genuinely do not feel confident though. Not with the results of the MRI showing multiple mobile stones, a very enlarged gallbladder, swelling of the bile duct and raised LFT's. If I have to go back to hospital again, I am going to go mad! Please let me know how you get on with your appointment and thanks for replying to me.
  • Posted

Hi lisa.

did they give you any idea of how long you would have to wait for your op? i will be having endoscopy tommorow afternoon so should then know more of whats happening had blood test done at doctors last friday .see if LFT coming down . i asked the hospital if i could see a dietician before going home to get more info on what to eat they said there isent a diet sheet available just eat low fat but that wont mean it wont return it could happen any time (GREAT)  i will let you know what happens after tommorow. keep in touch linda

• Posted

Hi nana, no, they didn't give me much of an idea. The only thing they said was that the target date is the 1st of March. But they said if I get acutely unwell again, I'm back to square one waiting.

When they say low fat, they mean low fat. I can't even have eggs or any other good fats. The diet is incredibly restrictive. I've been told to stick to less than 3% but that is very very difficult. I'm sticking as close as I possibly can, only eating around 15g of fat per day. That's not great in the long term considering a healthy person eats up to 70g a day. Good luck with the endoscope. Let us know how it goes x

• Posted

Hi nana how are you doing?
    • Posted

HI lisa.

i am ok at the moment bored stiff with this diet though not good at this time of year .went for endoscopy wasent as bad as i thought it would be they said there wasent any stone in the bile duct i must of passsed it felt more like i had gone into labour than pass a small stone . i have appointment on the 22nd with consultant hope i dont have to wait forever to get gallbladder op but the nurse said half the population in england are waiting to have gallbladder removed so not holding to much hope on that score . how are you doing ? linda

• Posted

Hi Linda. Good news about the endoscopy then. :-) I'm OK ta, I know exactly how you feel about being bored with the diet. Especially this time of year. I'm off to the nurse tomorrow to change Buscopan if I can because it's turned me red a few times. Hopefully she will be able to tell me more about the waiting list. Fingers crossed for you too. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.