Gallbladder Removal - What to expect afterwards

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my name is Imogen and i've only recently had my gallbladder removed via keyhole surgery. It all started after one night i had an intense pain in my right side underneath my ribcage, where upon it spread to my back and left side. Then came the nausea, shaking and loss of appetite for a week. Went to doctors several times until they did a blood test and sent me to hospital immediately because they thought i had hepetitis (something to do with the billirubin levels). This was scary because i do not drink, have never been near a cigarette or a tropical country, no tattoos and am only 15 years old.

So i went to the hospital and they did an ultrasound and found out i had gallstones instead. They said that that was also rare for a young healthy girl to have too, which wasnt much of a confidence boost i must say. They also believe that i have had gallstones for a couple of years now ( which really does explain alot of things to me about why i am so weird with how and what i eat, and the comstant pain). So they had to send me to an adult hospital for them to perform an ERCP because they believed i had a few trapped. This did not work so they put a stent in the pancreatic duct instead, then they found out that i had 20-30 stones in my common ducts aswell which prevented the ERCP from working to get into my bile duct! I was a bloody bag of marbles i was.

Luckily, after a few weeks out of hospital the stent had cleared the stones mostly from my ducts, but there were still many within my gallbladder. So hence why i have had it removed completely, and now i am confused as go how to carry on with daily life. When we tried to ask doctors about how i should approach eating without a gallbladder, each said an entirely different thing, so am left worrying about what i can or cant eat. Also, i am excruciatingly emetophobic ( frightened to death of throwing up) so anything that could cause me to throw up scares the hell out of me! Also, no one really explained why i have so much pain even though my gallbladder is now out, and for how long it will last ( including the nausea).

If anyone could help me that would be much appreciated, because i don't know what to do.

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Steelimo

Wow that really is a young age to have gallstones!

I had my gall bladder removed via keyhole 2months ago but only had one large stone

but it caused me a lot of trouble! I am 58!

I have a friend who is 21 and she has just gone through the exact same thing as you a few weeks ag....,many gallstones, stent, ERCP, gall bladder removal etc etc.

Even though GP or Surgeon may say that it only takes a few weeks to recover I personally think it takes a few months!

I have kept to an almost vegetarian low fat diet, eating small amounts of food, drinking plenty of fluids, I also have some anti nausea tablets from my GP!

and avoided any strenuous movements giving my insides time to heal.

You have had a number of invasive procedures and this takes a toll on your body!

Rest up a lot and give yourself a few months to allow everything to heal properly!

I have had to do this but I also have a chronic illness aswell so I knew this was

going to be slow progress!

If you are very anxious about your situation this can make the nausea worse and

that in itself is very difficult to deal with on top of your recent surgery!

I hope this helps and you take care of yourselfbiggrin

• Posted

I only to nausea when I ended up on my sides or stomache sleeping. Never thought to take anything for it. I lost mine nov. 11. I found myself sleeping in my chair a lot when the bed was just uncomfortable to me and I knew I would probably sleep better in my chair. I'm not 100% yet. I walking around a store like a snail. I see my doctor tomorrow. Thanks for saying if you feel nausea take those pills, I take them for veritgo so I always have them.
    • Posted

Hi Janet

Great to hear from you!

And glad you are feeling a lot better!

I have been trying to rest and not been on internet much

as I wanted to get fit enough to go on a couple of christmas

do's!!

But all in all feeling better each day!

I hope you are doing ok and feeling a lot lot better?!biggrin

• Posted

Hi Steelimo9,

Like sunshine my gallbladder removed just under 2 months ago and I can totally agree with all she wrote. I still have pain, nausea etc. But improving all the time. My surgeon actually told me on my post op visit that it's not a quick fix. Body has to heal and it takes time. A lot of people will vary. Patience and time is what is needed.

• Posted

Ahh, thanks for telling me this, my doctor and surgeon told me that this was a quick recovery operation, but they dont specialize in gallbladder removal. They also told me that i could eat like i used to straight away and eat cheese and chocolate and all the things i used to. Is that true? Or should i be following a diet plan? Also, how long did the gas left from the operation last for you, because it's causing more pain and discomfort than where the gallbladder used to be. 
    • Posted

Hi janet. I'm doing better. Still getting some pain. Pain in my left side Saturday most of the day. Thanksgiving was great, over ate a little bet but didn't eat pie or the stuffing. I see my dctor tomorrow. How are you doing? My husband drove me to the store Sunday I walked around like a snail. I can't wait to be walking like the good old days.
    • Posted

No that isn't true. My surgeon told me to stay on a low fat diet at least 2 months after surgery. I started the diet before surgery. Cheese is high fat, don't eat it. Chocolate, will I'm not eating it, except for a few whoppers, which is a low fat snack and reduced fat oreos. The icecream I found is cookies and cream, which means it has oreos cookies in it. If you eat something and then you hurt more don't eat it. It will slow your healing time. It will take a good month to get better or more, everybody is different. No cheese.
    • Posted

Improving, but still get pain where gallbladder was back ache ans some nausea. Did a three mile walk Saturday, then evening time went out, had 3 dances and suffered Sunday. My fault as my own doing.
    • Posted

I know how you feel. Getting tired being lazy and not doing stuff. A three mile walk wow. I can't even walk around walmart to long before I hurt and get tired. I love raining days, it means I won't be tempted to go outside. Sunny days are so tempting. But since my one walk to walmart by myself esson learned. I haven't even wrapped a gift. I let my daughter wrap for me.

Tired of the sore feeling. But I have worse. I had a virual bug that made me hurt for 6 months.

Try walking shorter time. Lucky I can't really dance. I hope you are feeling better today.

Let me know how you are doing and if you find anything that helps. Family is sick of my low fat diet but I'm sticky with it. I see my surgeon tomorrow, not looking forward to him chewy me out for my walk to walmart. I'm hang in there.

Been watching Christmas movies and hockey. Our college team the Ducks won their civil war game. So they are going to the new playoffs. Daughter has been sick for almost a week with a bug. First day she stayed home from school.

Take care. Little at at a time. I know its hard but the pain isn't worth it.

• Posted

Because I have had cancer with a mastectomy and reconstruction, maintainable7 years and now after a bone scan my bone density is not good. Medication. To top up levels of cAlcium and vitamin D. But unable to take a one of each week tab as have Barretts Oesophagus so was told that need to do lots of walking to build the bones up. Hence the walking. They squat ups and tap dancing help, that is a laugh walking hard enough. Plus IBS and diverticulitus and boarder line vitamin B12. So it's hard for me to balance everything. But one has to keep going. Thank God for this website as have been able to pickup so much help from others.

• Posted

Hi Steelimo

It definitely not a quick recovery operation, and if you do too much lifting and bending it will take even longer to heal inside!

My friend has now got a hernia in one of the scar sites  because she did some heavy lifting and bending and now needs another operation to fix it!  

I had a chocolate doughnut yesterday, the first time I have strayed from my low fat diet and the pain and discomfort was back for the first time!

I have cut out cheese altogether aswell as chocolate and going to stay on my home made soups and chicken dinners!!biggrin

• Posted

Wow! You have a lot of stuff going on already, then gall bladder on top of everything. I have fibro, arthitis, ibs too. Love all things that back us feel bad.

Saw the doctor finally for my post op. Says I'm doing o.k. but since I have fibro it will take longer to heal. If I'm still not feeling good in a couple days blood test and urine test. He had me make another appointment in two weeks if I need it.

He did say rest and drink lots of water. But I can add more walking in and slowly add back some of my normal foods. Lost more weight which I'm glad, so since Oct. lost probably 15 pounds. Would love to loss more.

I caught a bug. Nurse took my temp and it was 99.5. Just what I needed a bug.

I hope your bone destiny gets better. I'm very grateful for the site too. I'm waiting for my daughters test to come back, the quick test said she didn't have strep. Had to her home again today, doctors orders.

Hang in there and let me know how you are doing. Fever no wonder I kept waking up hot. Take care.

• Posted

Have to ask :-) did you enjoy the doughnut at the time of eating it?
    • Posted

Miss donuts Janet? Me too. Maple bars are my favorite. When I had mono, not by kissing was out in stores and got it, all I could eat was maple bars and chocolate milk.

I'm happy with the weight I lost. I can't wait until I can go for my long walks and exercise and losse more. Lost about 15 pounds since Oct. One good thing comes from a bad one.

Which donut are you craving for Janet?

Doing better today. Fibro pain only it seems. I just hope this bug goes away soon. Husband sick now too. Daughter home again today, sent her to school yesterday and she had bad body aches, plus last night she hurt her nose on her bed frame and she thought she broke it. Was bleeding but not a lot. She does have a nice bruise by her nice and eye today. Boy my family is having a blast.

• Posted

Ooooh yes it was heavenly!

I will have another one before Christmas!!!

But I think I will eat it in two sittings..!!!cheesygrin

• Posted

Not really, been so long since I can remember having one. Miss lots of fruit and veg. Not allowed a lot as cause bloating and pain due to bowel issues. Do have the odd white dairy free chocolate buttons and love quavers. Naughty but nice.
    • Posted

I want a maple bar. My last one was after my gall bladder attack in Oct. before I knew it was a no no.

Looking forward to Cinnamon rolls for Christmas, but hoping I won't get bad pains from one.

• Posted

My last maple was in Oct. After I found out I had stones but then found out it was a no no. What about Cinnamon rolls? Are they safe to eat? We usually have them warming up Christmas morning while we open gifts. When time goes off breakfast time.

Janet do you know anything about bile reflex and what to take for it. I'm not having it but Leni is on here and she really needs help to deal with it.

Doing o.k. today. I haven't slept good the last two nights. First night I couldn't rest easy by left breast hurt. Last night my sprain shoulder was hurting and I was almost in a full panick attack, I couldn't figure out at first what was going on.

Got out for awhile today. Going to be out more tomorrow Christmas parade and other Christmas stuff. I won't over do it. Most of the places we are going have seats and I will take water.

If you can help me with Leni I would appreciate it. She has a baby.

• Posted

Omperazole is what I am on for my Barrett oesphagus, and itsbeen a great help. Also take three peppermint oil tablets, half to on hot before meals. These are all given through GP, which the best way to go. Self prescribing is not good as you have to be soil careful about what tablets can be taken with what and if suitable to the individual. Gaviscon extra is quite good from chemists. But would suggest your friend gets seen and has a proper diagnosis. Good luck to her. Hope been of some help.
    • Posted

Thanks Janet. I will let her know.

I was feeling great yesterday. Cramps and fibro pain only.  So I'm going to figure out what me and my daughter can bake for Christmas. We love divinity and it's low fat, made with egg whites only.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.