Gallbladder removed lapro 6 days ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

I didn't get the dreaded gas pains or pains around my surgery site - only took 1 pain pill following surgery (went home the same day).  I immediately started eating small meals and feeling pretty well.  However I didn't have a BM for about 5 days so I took a little Milk of Magnesia which brought on a round of diareahha.  Yesterday I felt ok but this morning as soon as I ate breakfast I felt deathly nauseated - and began cramping severly in my stomach and (I guess intestines). The cramping didn't seem to be associated with the surgery area.  Does all of this sound normal? Is it going to take my digestion a while to get on track?  I'm very discouraged and feel very weepy these days because I fear that I'm going to be sick forever (was sick for months before they finally figured out it was my gallbladder).  I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow (desk job) and am now stressing, afraid the nausea and cramping will hit me at work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi! Just wonder how you're feeling. Hope you are feeling well. I'm on day 7 after lapro surgery of my gallbladder. I'm still tired and no appetite and a little nausus. Wondering where you are in your recovery.

• Posted

Hi cathycat

I'm pretty sore, still coughing a lot and still loaded with the cold, the best way is to not let it beat u tho, I have even been in my partners car and travelled to see my parents and got to admit I am pretty sore but I'm just trying not to think off it, I have started to try eat more normal again, but not 2 much at one time, so maybe try a chicken in a sauce, a Lil drop pasta with mince and sauce etc and start building it up from there that's what I've done, still get times I don't have much of an apatite but that's expected. You will feel tired after the simple things I'm the same, even some one visiting me drains me haha. Hope ur feeling a bit better today, try wander about the house or garden a Lil more each day also :-)

• Posted

Hi Cathycat!  Tomorrow is 2 weeks for me and I feel great - pretty much like my old self but with better digestion! My bms have returned to pretty much normal - something I have not had in almost a year.  I do still have some waves of nausea - some explainable (like if I eat too much) and some unexplained (just out of nowhwere, maybe on an empty stomach) but so far that's been manageable. I see my surgeon this week for my 2 week post-op.  I pray constantly that I continue making progress and that this is the end of the issues I have suffered from over the past year.  I had gone from dr to dr with these issues - even going to the ER and no one checked my gallbladder until 3 weeks ago.  I am so hopeful this chapter of my life is over!  I hope you are doing well!

• Posted

Hi t37102!

I'm so happy that you are feeling much better. I hope I am right behind you. Day 9 for me after surgery. Still have nausea and no appetite and a little messed up stomach. I just can't see the rainbow at the end of the tunnel. Did you feel like this at day 9? I'm a hermit. I don't go anywhere cause I don't feel good. Please tell me this is what you went through. I see the surgeon next Monday, October 3. What kind of foods did you eat around this time? I feel so yucky. Keep up the good work and feel super super better soon.

• Posted

I went back to work on day 7 so I was eating pretty normal (which means fish/chicken/turkey - little to no fat or sugar or dairy) and very small meals.  I struggled to make the work week but I did it and I didn't want to add to the difficulty by eating the wrong thing so I ate very little and mostly bland. On Friday I had my first ice cream in months - just a scoop but it didn't make me sick! Yesterday I had some trouble with nausea so that may have been the ice cream but it didn't last more than a couple hours and wasn't too bad. By today I'm eating pretty much what I want but smaller amounts. I plan to never go back to my old habits of fatty, sugar - just general "bad" diet.  I don't ever want to go down the road again of all the digestive problems I was having.  Now I will say that last week (maybe about mid week) I did have the familar cramping, dull aching in my lower belly that plagued me before the surgery. That last a day and I was so discouraged, wondering if it would ever go away. After that though I seemed to make a turn for better and haven't felt that since.  I bet you are on your way too.  I think in a couple more days you'll see a real difference.

• Posted

Friday is my two week mark and I hope I will be where you are at. I cannot handle nausea even if it's a tiny bit. Just debilitates me. I feel like I should be put in a special hospital. Just a big baby. So I pray that I end up healing like you. Good luck tomorrow at the surgeons. I wonder if they biopsy our gallbladder. Maybe we can see pics too. Have a nice day and feel better completely!!!!!!

• Posted

I really feel that you will start seeing improvement.  When I feel a twinge of nausea I use Gas X strips or Pepcid. I also still use my Bentyl if I feel the slightest cramping.  It's just all been so much less in intensity and it's so much more manageable.  I hope this is the trend and I continue to improve from here.

• Posted

Hi t36102! Thanks for the words. I will think positive and stay right behind ya in healing. Take care and feel better fast.
    • Posted

Hi cathycat I'm on post op day 11, try get out and about for a Lil 10-20 mins thst has what has been helping me; I get drained very easily but I feel a bit better for it, if u don't start improving in the next week or so I would defo speak to ur surgeon to make sure that everything is normal, but tbh I'm sure all will be fine, just a case we all heal differently... keep on going and keep thinking positive :-) I've had ti put a dressing on the incision next to my hip as one of the stitches is sticking out a bit and catching on things which is a Lil sore, been feeling a bit of pain the last few days but think it could b a case that I've been doing 2 much 2 soon. Hope all is ok

• Posted

Hi back2health! Thank you for the note. Went grocery shopping today and made me feel a bit better. Although we did hurry because I didn't feel well and I'm so afraid I'm gonna get sick. I just miss laughing and chatting with people. I was sick before the surgery for four months so it just seems like forever. I have never been this sick before. It's really messing with my mind. I'm glad you are feeling well. Take care of that stitch and keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi cathycat

Glad to hear u got out for a little while, just start off keeping outings short and then start to build them up and then have a day or 2 rest in between, that's what I have been doing, today is a full day of rest not going anywhere unless I really have to. I have had gallstones for 3 yrs but they decided when I 1st had them to leave my gallbladder as they where hoping they would pass on there own but have had non stop issues for the last 8 months, a lot of sick days from work, constant pain and I stopped eating, I only weight 8 - 8 1/2 stone at the best of time and I went down to 7 stone with not being able to eat due to it and spend days back and forth from the docs and hosp constantly, then they decided to do a scan when I was admitted into the hosp for 3 days to find I still had stones and a few new ones and that's when it was decided I had to get the gallbladder out, still got a lot of pain coming and going from where the gallbladder was but im constantly thinking positive and trying to get my body used go not using it anymore :-)

• Posted

Goodmorning back2health! 🌺 Thank you for the note. Wow, sounds like you wert through the ringer with pain. You are definitely going in the right direction. Do you find it hard to sleep at night? I usually am a stomach sleeper and still cannot lay on my stomach. First i read for like two hours and then I put my headphones on and listen to a calming anxiety recording. If I nap I cannot sleep good at night. Wish I could cause then I'm super tired the next day. I wake up early with my son before he heads to school. He is in 11th grade. Have you been putting any weight on with your new appetite? You lost a lot plus you were tiny in the first place. I have lost almost 30 pounds. I am so used to not eating that I have no appetite. My husband thinks I should force myself. My story started in March. I had a torn miniscus which I tore about two years ago. When working out it was getting worse and just everyday moving around was painful. I had surgery. The doc had me take anti inflammatories and they were just ruining my stomach. I tried three diff ones and he said I had to take them to get the swelling down. After three months I started getting nausea. It was getting bad everyday. I thought I had an ulcer but my endoscope showed just a little gastritis and she said I wouldn't have that much nausea. I had a ton more tests and my HIDA scan was 21%. My doc said to get it out and I should feel better. I've always had stomach troubles like IBS but they thought it was my gallbladder. I pray that this was the problem. I'm definitely not as nausus as before but I still am at diff times during the day. I'm gonna be positive today. I'm gonna try and eat more today. Yesterday I only had applesauce and a small bowl of noodles. So hear goes my day!!!!!!!! It's so nice to listen to your positive story. Feel good today and have a nice day! 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

• Posted

Hey cathycat

I have also stopped myself from sleeping during the day even when I can barely keep my eyes open, that way I get a better sleep at night, I am the same I like to sleep on my belly and I still can't do that either, and Im not keen on sleeping on my back so I am using a good few pillows to prop me up so I'm a bit more comfortable. My honest opinion is I started eating small things more often and gradually build it up to bigger things. I'm managing short walks not long walks tho and still doing easy chores round the house, still not able to go around hoovering but able to get dishes and fold the washing but that tires me out also. I am hoping that this will end ur sickness and u ate now on the road to recovery. Just stay positive and u will have a few days where ur not feeling to great or ur more sore etc but it's just our body recovering, I'm still tiring out easily, on small meals, can't lift things and still getting pain on and off but getting there slowly and hopefully u will b doing the same 😊

• Posted

Hi back2health! Thank you for the note. Do you also have those Teri strips (I think that's what they are called) on your belly? I have four "X's" with them. I don't even know what's under them. They never even told me. Are there stitches under there? Or glue? I can't believe they aren't peeling off yet. I'm pushing myself to have small meals today. I get a little belly ache after I eat. I think it's cause I'm not used to eating. I'm gonna try and be positive today. You too! Feel better quick! Talk to ya soon!

• Posted

Hi t36102! Did you see the surgeon today? Hope you are feeling better. Sounds like you are on the right road. You mentioned Bentyl. I forgot I had that. So since I'm trying to eat now and have cramping cause I think I'm not used to it.....I can take this. Thank you for reminding me. I also bought those gas x strips. Do you take those with cramping also? Hope you are doing good today!

• Posted

Hi cathycat

Sorry that's me just replying been sleeping most of the day, drained from trying to be out and about a lot more in the weekend. I did have the paper stitches over the wounds but they told me to remove them after 5 days. I was told I have dissolving stitches, but can't really see them as there fone stitches but I can see them on the incision next to my hip ( got a dressing on it now as it's catching on my clothes ) but it seems they have also used glue over them as well.

Glad to hear that u managed a small meal, keep on at it, will make ur body stronger or recovery :-)

• Posted

I see the surgeon tomorrow.  Today was another good day but I'm still getting so tired around midday and my upper back hurts a lot. I'm going to talk to him about those two things tomrrow.  Yes I take Bentyl (I think I've taken 1 today) if I start to cramp and it usually heads it off.  I also use the Gas X strips for cramping/sour stomach - I like them as well. Sometimes I use the two together.  I also use over the counter Pepcid as needed.  

I hope you're doing well and have had a good day!

• Posted

Hi t36102! I'm starting to eat a little more today. And now I'm not so worried because you reminded me of that Bentyl. I just had noodles with Parmesan cheese for dinner. I think when I go to the docs I'm gonna ask for something to help me sleep. It takes me forever to fall asleep. Pbly doesn't help that I take a nap during the day. Ask your surgeon if he took a biopsy of your gallbladder. I bet your back hurts cause you are doing to much during the day. I think you said you went back to work. Good luck with the surgeon!!!!! Feel better soon!

• Posted

Just wondering how you're doing? I'm having problems now with diarrhea! I hope this is not how it's going to be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.