Gallbladder surgery 1 day ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my gallbladder out yesterday done by keyhole surgery with a tap block before. When I got home, I felt pretty good, but today after the block wore off, the pain has been very bad. Very hard getting up, prob a lot of gas pain. Started taking ibruprofen in between the Percocet which seems to be helping a little. Anyone else worse on day 2?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Laurie,  yes, day 2 and 3 are supposed to be the worst.  The gas they pumped into you is still dissipating through your body, and you'll probably have a hard time getting comfortable.  Finding a good restong position is the key, it seems. You might want to check with your doctor about pain.  I took 2 time release tylenol (which lasts for six hours with one advil). The pain killers they gave me made me sick, even with anit-nausea medication.  That's what worked for me.  

Remember that you've had major surgery; just because the incisions are small doesn't mean that your body hasn't been traumatized. Best of luck to you!  

• Posted

Thank you for your suggestions. I called the pharmacy and they told me I can take Ibruprofen in between the Percocet because the pain was so bad. I thought because it was done by laporoscopy, it wouldn't be this painful. I guess I just have to take it day by day and try to rest a bit more. Thank you so much.

• Posted

Laurie, I am surprised your doctor sent you home after having what is considered major surgery.  The pain you are having is normal the first few days, but if your pain meds are not helping, you should contact your doctor, who can prescribe something different that will work. 

?I was in the hospital for six days after my surgery, but then I had a very bad gallbladder and infection that also involved my one kidney.  The first day after my surgery, I was helped up to a sitting position, until I got used to getting up on my own.  I took the pain meds the first week I was home, and then only as needed.  It has been almost two years since my surgery, and I feel great. 

?Get as much rest as possible, and follow your doctor's directions.  Do not hestitate to contact your doctor if you are still experiencing heavy pain.  Don't worry, you will feel so much better in five weeks.   

• Posted

Thank you. I had my surgery done in a surgical center that lets you go home the same day. I had a nerve block done yesterday so going home wasn't a problem. The doctor wanted me to try to take the Percocet every six hrs today and that didn't work for me. Now that I took some Ibruprofen and Percocet, the pain is much better. I'm sure everyday will get better. I just panicked today because the pain was so bad.

• Posted

I had TERRIBLE pain for alittle over 2 weeks, I finally dicovered that Ice directly on those areas that hurt really made me feel better. My doctor did not give me ANY pain killers so I suffered greatly. Now Im completley well and eat anything I want
    • Posted

Mark, you should have contacted your doctor for pain medication.  There was no need for you to go through that.  Everyone has a different pain threshhold, but your doctor should have seen to it that you were sent home with medication.   I remember a couple of times awaking in the middle of the night with bad pain, but as soon as I took my medication, the pain subsided.   I'm glad you feeling great and can eat anything you want. 

• Posted

The doctors here in the US are so afraid these days that ppl will get addicted to painkiillers they neglect us that really need something. I called my doctors and they gave me the run-arouund, they acted like I was imaigining the pain. I tell ya, I reallt suffered. I had to try and sleep setting up. absolutely terrible pain
    • Posted

Mark, I live in the US too, and have never had a doctor deny me pain medication after surgery.  I was on pain medication for 2 1/2 weeks following my surgery.  I had excellent doctors and nurses.  The Surgeon who removed my gangrenous and necrotic gallbladder was like a super hero to me. 

Having one's gallbladder out is considered major surgery, and your doctors should have prescribed something for your pain.  Shame on them! There was no reason you had to suffer as you did.    

• Posted

Mark, I would've been on the phone. The pain those first few days was no joke. I hope you're feeling better. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to be cleared for work on Monday. I wish I could say for sure that I am ready for a full day, but we'll see. Wish me luck!

• Posted

Yes. Sounds normal. It takes a long time to fully heal. I still have problems almost 3 years later but that's because I had complications. Not to scare you or anything.. Sorry. But yeah in my experience it took me at least 3 months to feel pretty healed as far as sitting up, moving around, bending, etc. take your time to heal. Don't get back in there full force. Just my opinion

• Posted

Also- if your pain continues badly for a while I would contact your surgeon. Like I've said a lot on all of these posts- if you know something is not right with your body and people are trying to tell you it's normal- don't settle. That's the best advice I could offer. A lot of gastroinerologist tried to tell me it was normal and I knew it wasn't, so I searched until I found someone who would help me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.