Gallbladder Surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I thought I would give a (probably long!) update as I've had quite the week! Very long story short, after 12 months of at least 2/3 attacks per week, I ended up having emergency gallbladder surgery this week.

Last Monday morning I woke at 4am with the excruitiating pain. I ended up in A&E on morphine, which did nothing. They kept me overnight, and the surgeon and his team of junior docs came to see me the next morning around 9am and literally could not get me into surgery quick enough. I was prepped and in surgery by 11.45am, after 31 hours of constant agony. I don't remember them giving me any drugs to fall asleep. I know I got the anti-sickness med and then he had barely put the mask over my face and I was out. I know I got back on the ward at 3.20pm, hooked to the morphine drip (yay, fun times!), and the rest of the day was a blur. I do remember that one of the junior doctors just kept telling me that my gallbladder was huge. Nothing else, just that it was huge!

The next day they explained that my gallbladder had actually ruptured and was exploding bile everywhere inside. Also, it was that inflamed it was at least 3 times the size of what it should have been. He demonstrated the size with his hands (which granted, were bigger than mine!) and mine measures out to 11 inches. He said that they'd had to consider converting to an open surgery, luckily they managed to make the incisions larger to get it out, but it had been a struggle.  I ended up spending 3 nights in hospital, and experienced quite a lot of pain in those first few days, and had 48 hours of antibiotics. 

I'm hoping not to tempt fate here but so far, so good. I'm still sore and getting tired easily, but I guess that's to be expected after surgery full stop, let alone the craziness that happened. I've only had one bowel movement since the surgery, but it was regular. I'm slowly reintroducing food and mostly just eating whatever my body is craving which seems to be biscuits and chocolate, which is the complete opposite to my usual tastes! I had an Indian takeaway last night, just a chicken korma and naan and was fine. I'm still having the sharp shoulder pains from the gas, I'm guessing, but I've been able to sleep on my side since last night. I'm hoping things stay as smooth as they are going right now.

Apparantly, I've been incredibly lucky, both with the surgeon that I got who is supposedly one of the best in the area and one of the few that would have even attempted keyhole in a situation like mine, and also lucky that they managed to get it out when they did. The first few days were rough, and I imagine the severity of it was why I had a longer hospital stay but other than that, it's just niggly pains that I imagine will settle down once I've recovered. 

I just wanted to share my experience so that firstly, anybody who is experiencing the biliary colic (a surgeon confirmed for me!) knows to get to A&E ASAP since it can go south very quickly. But also, there aren't many happy ending stories out here, and while mine hasn't ended yet & I realise things could change at any point, so far it hasn't been as horrific as I expected. I'm mostly ok, people are amazed at how quickly I'm bouncing back and the difference in me after each nap! It's been a rough week but the first thing I really remember thinking when I woke up (after the confusion!) was how grateful I was to have that agony gone. I'm still apprehensive, but right now any pain & niggles I'm having outweigh that pain from the colic any day! Fingers crossed for a continued happy ending!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow what an absolute nightmare for you. One thing that did make me feel better is that even though your GB was so inflamed they still didnt revert to the full op. I have the feeling my GB is very inflamed and im having my op tomorrow so hoping they do it keyhole .

Im so glad you are recovering well. All the best for the future smile

• Posted

Hi Jane,

i I hope your surgery went well? Let us know how it went when you feel up to it.

Yes, I was very lucky that my surgeon was able to still do it via keyhole, the incisions are a little bigger than usual but I'll take that over being fully sliced open any day! I hope yours managed to stick with keyhole too, and you're not feeling too unwell.

• Posted

So pleased it has all turned out well for you after such a frightening episode.  I don't know why the NHS is so reluctant to diagnose gallbladder disease when we all describe the pain we are/were in.  As I have acid reflux due to a lax sphincter at the bottom of my oesophagus, they all kept blaming the pain on that.  In the end I went private, but not everybody has the funds to do that.  I think I would still be having attacks and getting nowhere if I hadn't been fortunate enough to be able to make the decision for myself to have it out.  Good luck everyone.
    • Posted

Thank you. My next option was to go private but thankfully I'd gotten a surgeon who mostly agreed with me, and remarked that at least if I had it out, we could rule it out in future! And then, of course gallbladder-gate happened anyway!

It's frustrating though, I feel like all of this unnecessary pain and then this ultimately life threatening situation could have been avoided had I been listened to, and not considered to be a recreational druggie, or pushing for addictive painkillers, or even just having IBS and being x-rayed for wind. It was mortifying, so much so that when I called 111 and spoke to a paramedic who very strongly requested I go, I refused because I was so embarrassed and fed up of being treated like a drug addict. Had it not been for my GP who phoned ahead and tried to get me directly admitted to the surgical ward, I wouldn't have gone. And then God knows what would have happened. Luckily in this case, the ward was full so A&E it was, with a letter and the promise of a surgical consult which in turn meant IV morphine! 

i just feel like it should never have gotten this far.

• Posted

Sounds like a close shave.

I hd my gallbladder removed at end of April but just day surgery, nothing as dramatic as you had.

Take care and keep in touch.

Love Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.