Gallbladder Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I had gallbladder surgery on the 4 of this month. I was given a excuse that I could return to work on the 12. I ended up going back to work yesterday and a half of day today. I had to leave today because I was totally clear by the doctor. I was able to get an appointment this afternoon. When I saw the nurse I told her that I was in a lot of pain at the top incision and that I was bend over yesterday at work because I was in pain. The doctor recommended that I stay home a little while longer if I was in pain.My question is are there anyone else feeling this way and how long it takes to fully recover from this. I thought I was ready to go back to work after those days off/

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

6 weeks I am afraid .. You are healing inside .. The top incision takes the longest the glue they use really ur rated me . 

When to go back to work depends on your job .. 

I was caring for my elderly mum and placed her into a nursing home for 2 weeks .. 3 days before the op 10 days after and I coped .. But like you I learnt that although I felt ok if I did too much I felt like I'd been kicked in the tummy.. 

I swept the floor .. Agony .. Then my mum fell on me when standing up and I took all her body weight to lift her back into her chair .. I felt generally rough for two days and pains in abdominals,, 

6 weeks I felt physically healed ... 3  months my energy came back .. 

When I say 6 weeks that's to fully recover so you may find 3 weeks post op if careful no using abdominal muscles you may be quite ok to work .. But everyone is different..but you will heal and you will feel great again ..patience ..my mums joke was always be a patient patient ...don't worry you  are normal 

• Posted

I was told 3 weeks recovery period if key hole surgery 6 weeks if you have the bigger op.

Remember you are not supposed to lift anything during this period.

It does take time to recover from this op.

Take cqare

Sarah

• Posted

Hi I had my gallbladder out on the 12 November last year and I still have pain, fortunately I work from home but I was unable to start that for 2 weeks as bending forward on my desk to the computer hurt, my husband had to take a week off work to cook and help me, I am not a strong person and have IBS and fibromyalgia and everyone is different but for the body to start to  feel a bit better

from surgery it takes at least 4 weeks and you should not lift anything heavy in this time and bending will still hurt, now I have bouts of colic pain if I eat something my stomach does not like and I have to go to the loo, I still have very bad bloated stomach and this can go on for ages as well as nerve meridian pain from groin to waist which I believe is affected after gallbladder removal, for the inside of the stomach to get healed it takes at least 6 months, and more, but you would need to rest for the first 2 to 3 weeks, its a nuisance and I would not have had it out if I were not told the consequenses of leaving a gallbladder full of stones.  As I said everyone is different, some heal allot quicker than others, just take it easy and I wish you a speedy recovery.  Stella

• Posted

Yes everyone is so different. I had my gallbladder out at end of April and still get stomach ache particularly if I eat something I should not.

Also quite constipated. I have put this down to having my gallbladder out and told myself it will settle down. This is what one GP has said.

However another GP recently said "Oh no don't blame it all on having yur gallbladder out, this may be something completely diferent you need to treat it, " so how do you know which is right?

Hope things settle down for you.

Sarah

• Posted

(Raising my hand) I feel the same way too! I couldn't move fast as i could.like bending down just to get a trash from the floor.

It'll makes me feel in pain and it'll continue for a couple of hours.

It depends like what i've said to other gp's one patient told me that even she got her gb removed she still experiencing pain attacks.

Just be careful moving. I was told by my dietician that i can't do sports for 2 years to make sure i'm better and ok. it makes me sad but as long as i'm alive its fine.

I hope you'll be ok too! and continue to do things like you used to.

Regards,

Katherine

• Posted

i ws off 3 weeks - was no way ready to go back beforehand - everyone is different but it sounds like you are overdoing it..... it isn't worth it in the long run, it will take you longer to recover...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.