Gallbladder surgery a success but belly button incision has decided to reopen

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all so my op was a success really wasn't anything to panic about, had a slight complication with the liver oozing so had to stay in for one night with a drain (keyhole) and the drain caused more pain then the actual surgery, the only issue I've had occurred today, well I say today but maybe the laughing fit I had yesterday over something silly may have something to do with it, (oops), my incision by belly button has decided it wanted some air and popped open, the surgeon deciedeon glue to close the wounds (few of my nurse/Dr friends where like aye seriously) I feel I may need to make a trip up the hopsital tomorrow s its now 1am here even though 111 told me to go in the hour, I was just wondering what will they do will they reglue or maybe stitch this back up? Attached a pic 🙂

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

For heaven's sake!  Go to A&E!  They will do what they need to do after they assess the situation!  

• Posted

Hi Danielle, you must go and get  this sorted either to a&e or an MIU depending which is closer. for the 2 incisions under the ribs which are the smallest they glued mine but the incision in the middle of the ribs and the belly button they stitched so I'm wondering why he glued it as its a much bigger incision. Make sure that you cover it so that you don't get an infection in it before you head out.

Let me know what happens. I'm hoping that you've had it done by now.  x

• Posted

Hopefully you will have been sorted out by now .

I would have gone to A&E STRAIGHT away ! You don't wait with some thing

like that . All my wounds were stitched, not very good to glue the belly button

wound . Let us know how you get on .

• Posted

Went up a&e they have packed the wound and given antibiotics have to go back in two days to have it checked xx

• Posted

Packing is the very best thing to do. Normally don’t resuture. Can’t imagine gluing an abdominal incision. It may take several days of packing, pulling the packing and repacking but it will heal much better, from inside out. If you sneeze, cough or have another laughing fit, grab a pillow and hold it tight against your tummy. 
  • Posted

Hope you doing a bit better now. Mine took four weeks to close. On week five now and still having to be careful.

• Posted

After three visits to urgent care for dressing changes, i go to change the gaze today and met with dark green gunk and blood and the most vilest smell ever (holds nose)redface, they said yesterday it doesn't look infected, which to be honest there was no smell yesterday. My 7 day course of antibiotics finishes today as well. I have a suspicion that this isn't going to close up on its own accord, being the belly button incision, standing up or sitting down causes it to open and close. I really wished the surgeon closed this with sutures instead of glue. eek

• Posted

I tore mines open as well and had a hole in it. Had flucloxacillin for 2 weeks and it opened up again a couple of weeks after that. It got swabbed at this point and was given doxycycline. Closed within a week.

It was the infection underneath preventing the wound from knitting together, so once this infection was treated it healed pretty quickly after that. Had the wound covered with mepitel as well. It’s a soft jelly like plaster so all the pus from the incision was pulled out. Also used a dressing patch of inadine (iodine) covered with the mepitel and loads of pus was drawn out onto that. As bad and gross as it sounds I actually squeezed as much of the pus out as I could to start with (had just scrubbed my hands so they were as clean as could be. Think this helped as then there was less that needed to come out when I used the inadine patch. Hope you get healed up soon! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.