Gallbladder surgery a week ago.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having pain and not feeling good for almost a year. Two months ago after being at ER, I was diagnosed with a few gallstones and possible Gerd. The ER doctors assistant said the gallstones aren't the problem. I went to see a GI doctor where I was diagnosed with hernia. Still no talk of my gallbladder. Well one week after that diagnosis, I was back at a different ER due to horrible abdominal pain that radiated to my back. In addition, I thought I had a bout with the flu a few days earlier, vomitting bile up and constant diahrea for 5 days. This ER found my my gallbladder was riddled with gallstones and infected. Just goes to show you can get different opinions but keep going to doctors and ER til they find the source of your pain. I'm one week out from surgery. It's been rough. I don't remember the first couple days home. A few things I've learned so far. Stay ahead of pain when you first get home. I don't like pain meds but I sure needed something more than Tylenol and Advil those first days. I chose Norco. It doesnt make me feel weird. I stopped my pain meds after 4 days due to constipation and my pain was managed by Advil and Tylenol. Also , adhere to the diet of low fats, no sweets , no carb , etc.. There are websites that tell you what to eat after gallbladder surgery. Today and last night I had Bread. For me that was a mistake. I had a full on gas attack meaning the gas wouldn't go anywhere. I thought l had to poop. The pain and heartburn were horrible . My stomach was so crampy and bloated. It was so bad. Thinking , I had to poop, I did two enemas, no luck. I took 4 Advil due to pain. I then took heartburn pill and drank sprite. Finally , it let up and I started burping. The pain was so bad though at one point , I thought I needed to go back to hospital. Believe me, dont push recovery either. Ive been going insane being in the house and really cant do anything. Theres a reason they drs. say to take it easy and dont lift anything heavier thgan a gallon of milk. I go see the surgeon tomorrow for my one week follow up. Well just wanted to share my experience so far. Hope it helps someone

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chewy,

You're only one week out of surgery, so having pain is part of the healing process.  The thing about the diet after surgery, you should take it easy with foods that can give you gas, heartburn, etc.  Your body is adjusting to life without a gallbladder.  Where once you had bile go directly from your liver to the gallbladder and into the stomach for digestion, the bile now goes directly into the stomach constantly from your liver. Foods that are acidic like pop/soda/fruit juices should be limited or avoided right now. I actually gave up drinking pop or soda and many fruit juices.   Better to eat fresh fruit and vegetables.

I have a little trick that helps me when I get heartburn.  I take a tsp of baking soda in a glass of water, and it neutralizes the acid in the stomach within a few minutes.  Try eating smaller more frequent meals and drink a lot of water.  Remember, your body has been through trauma and it's healing.  You can expect to feel back to yourself by the end of week five.  Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of water, and take your pain meds when needed.  Don't be shy in asking help with carrying things etc.  You will notice with each day and week, you are getting stronger and better.  

My gallbladder was much worse(gangrenous and necrotic) than yours and I had a very normal recovery.  biggrin

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it. Glad you recovered well. Take care biggrin)
    • Posted

i can't really understand after gb removal the bile directly goes to the intestine theory, the reason is  the bile duct is like a sling shot or letter Y, one end gb is connected and the other tube both connect to common duct, so even with normal person, the bile from common duct will still go to intestine all the time, now after gb removal , more bile will go compared to earlier.

• Posted

Yes, the bile goes directly into the small intestine, not the large intestine.  It can back up from the small intestine into the stomach, too.
    • Posted

biliarydyskines - I looked it up on the internet, and verified it with my surgeon.  Bile goes directly to the intestine.  
  • Posted

Awful experience!  But, you're out the other side now, and hopefully on the mend.  When you have gas, another thing that works is just walking a bit, around the house.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Just an interesting fact--at least I think so.  Together with the small intestine and large intestine, your bowels extend give or take about 27 feet.  That means it takes 2-3 days for what you eat to be processed and come out the other end.  If you're well, that is.  Us folks who have bile problems have extremely rapid intestinal transit--so for us constipation can be a good thing. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.