Gallbladder surgery after effects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.has GB surgery keyhole 5 incisions on Wednesday. They also did a liver biopsy. Had jaundice and two weeks later pancreatitis due to gallbladder. 4 days post op and feeling crappy. .y incision at my belly button is very bruised. My incision under my left ribcage hurt the most. Did a lot of walking today and feel exhausted. Feels like everybody especially myself feel that it was not such a big op and i must get over it. I am very nauseaous all the time. Left shoulder pain and feeling of fullness. Is it normal and will I gwt better soon. So sick of being sick

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

The exterior incisions will take 5-6 weeks to heal.  Internally it can take up to 6 months.  Please slow down and rest.  Your body needs to heal--it's major surgery!  Did you not get any post op instructions?

• Posted

Don't worry too much. You will get better soon for all you know it. give yourself time and let your mind rest. you just had your surgery and your body needs to recover. I been there and I had my surgery exactly like your procedure and I was very very sick after the operation. Had to see the surgeon because

Of my Loose or

LBM and really sore around the belly bottom. I was so afraid they hit something inside that made it so painful and all bruised. After a few weeks my body got adjusted and my LBM got better and soreness around the belly button took almost a month to get better. I still have a slight bruise but the pain is hardly there. This is my 8 weeks now of

Post op and still has a little pain on the spot where the gall bladder was removed and the incision. The rest of the incisions healed fast except the incision where the gallbladder was scooped. It is healing but cannot bend too much and trying to be careful with any strenuous activities. So far I am getting there. by the way my doctor said that ox bile is only advisable with people who has pancreatitis. But of course, you have to consult your surgeon what is best for you. I am also taking Milk Thistle because it is good for my liver and it helped lower my ALT or liver

Enzymes. It is quite lower now. Anything you will take ask your physician especially now that you are still recovering. Lemon is also good for the liver and cleanses our system but in moderation. I hope you will feel better and also your Jaundice and pancreatitis will be better. Your fullness

Will disappear and your appetite will come back in a month or two. The shoulder pain maybe because of the side where you sleep. I did not take any strong medication because I am sensitive to strong pain reliever. The over the counter pain reliever works better for me and less side effects. Most of the symptoms you are experiencing now will go away as you heal. I went back to the doctor or surgeon just once and he was very reassuring that I will get better soon; he was right. Give your body and mind rest. Talk to the people who had same problem like yours to make you feel better.Anything helps. I hope I was able to give you a little relief sharing my experience to you. Get well and update us.

• Posted

I was due to have laparoscopic surgery and I was prepared for the shoulder pain from the gas, which I was told is very common, then they decided I had to have the open surgery.

Like you I had jaundice and was in danger of sepsis as a result. I had to be hospitalised for a week. Jaundice really takes it out of you. You get really tired with it. Also if you're only four days post op maybe you overdid the walking? It's important to mobilise, but you have to take things gradually and not overdo it. The nausea is probably from the anaesthetic. I still get left shoulder pain eleven weeks post surgery if I overdo it and I have that feeling of fullness and some tenderness in the gallbladder area still but I had to have my bile duct reconstructed. They say people who've had the laparoscopic surgery recover quicker but you've still had major surgery internally. I know four people who've had laparoscopic cholecystectomy and all recovered well. I think it probably takes a while especially if you had jaundice. Take it easy and don't be in a rush. If after two or three weeks you're no better, see a doctor.

• Posted

Just take it easy. I had mine out April 10 and I'd say finally I'm feeling better. It takes a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.