Gallbladder surgery imminent!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi folks, I'm hoping I'm writing this so I can update in a few weeks time saying all is good and it's not all a life of problems.

I'm a 39yo male and have suffered with my GB for 4 years, several initial attacks which resulted in diagnosis and scheduled surgery. I deferred this, partially due to family issues, mostly cos I didn't want surgery. Modified my diet and other than mild grumbles I've been ok.

I've had no typical triggers, and continued to occasionally eat things I probably shouldn't, spicy, greasy, dairy, things I nicknamed 'gallbladder busters'

Fast forward to late 2016 and a series of attacks, that seemed to be triggered by iced juices! resulted in a visit to the docs, bloods and markers that pointed to pancreatitis. I got re referred, confirmed 2 large stones, sludge and wall thickening.

My surgery is on Saturday, I'm still not 100% sure I want it! I'm an active outdoors fella, never sit still and have a busy year ahead. The thought of down time and probable diet problems is depressing the heck outta me. Flip side, it worries me what could happen if I continue to ignore it!

I'm hoping to update this with a positive outcome

Cheers!

Matt

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Matt

Look at it that you did great to hold it off for so long just by being stubborn.

So after surgery with the way your mind seems to work I'm thinking you will be just fine, after the recovery period.

Hang In there get better & you will be 👌

• Posted

For me the surgery was nothing. It hurts for a couple of days and you're a bit sluggish for awhile.

Think of all the foods you'll enjoy without the fear of having a GB attack.

Pancreatitis is no joke. It can really mess you up. Worse case scenario you'll be taking a long dirt nap. 😳

• Posted

Hi Matt, I have put mine off for 10 years, I won't re post my post but it's also caught up with me now and thinking I need to get it sorted but also terrified of doing so. I think your doing the right thing as these won't go away and only get worse. (I am better at telling others what to do)

I look forward to reading your positive outcome.

I am in agony most days now it's ridiculous.

• Posted

Your definitely doing the right thing if you think of what could happen if you don't have the surgery! I had surgery 8 days ago and I'm feeling so much better, I'm getting really tired and achey if I do too much but hoping another week or 2 that will be better because I keep resting when I need to. Just think how much better you will be once you have recovered from the op.

Hope all goes well on Saturday.

• Posted

I have been in pain , many attacks over the past year. My gallbladder came out 2 days ago. I'm not gonna lie... it hurts. I can't wait to feel better and eat again. I also changed my food plan many times but nothing helped.A bad gallbladder is very had to correct. Just take it it.

• Posted

Hi Matt

i had mine removed 3 years ago ..best thing I could of done ..didn't realise how unwell it had made me until it was removed ..got energy back , felt so much better. Within 2 weeks of surgery felt good but had to not use abdominal muscles for 6 weeks or you feel like you've been kicked in the stomach ..I was terrified of surgery burst into tears when the took me down to the theatre but there was no need ... to fret.. day surgery home same day key hole surgery.. 

my digestion now is different but not a problem I don't suffer from diahreah in fact I seem to produce less bile than before . Which is great as I had gastritis before and ulcers and now I don't . I suffer from constipation which is easily cured with plenty of bran. My only negative is I can't digest gluten anymore whether that is removal of gall bladder or just me I don't know but it's not the end of the world ... and I have put on over two stone stuffing myself on all the foods I couldn't eat for the over 10 years I had it undiagnosed..  so try not to worry .. hope it goes well and the pancreatitis settles down ..

• Posted

I had surgery 2 weeks ago, all went well, even better than I could have hoped. Felt uncomfortable and sore for a few days but not really pain. Just slept a lot. Have been lucky enough to eat what I want since.

Definitely go for it and best of luck.

• Posted

Yes definitely follow the orders about not lifting anything heavy. I didn't and one of my incisions opened up. Wasn't a big deal but the scar is much bigger and it took about 2 months to heal. I had to change the dressing 2X a day.

• Posted

Amazes me someone is more afraid of surgery than gallbladder pain. Surgery is nothing,..zero.. zilch.. it's nothing.

• Posted

So true about the GB attack pain being light years worse than the surgery pain.

After my 3rd visit to the ER the doctor was basically saying "if you know it's your gallbladder then why do you still have it? You like coming in here doubled over in agony?"

I made an appointment to see a surgeon the next day.

• Posted

So sorry for your issues! Had mine out nearly two years ago - the healing is different for everyone, honestly, but first three days are the hardest - I chose to go w/o pain meds as didn't care for their side effects.  It still IS surgery even though they try to tout it as outpatient, minor stuff.  You will be sore for awhile, and can't lift heavy stuff for a bit - but it is better than having those random attacks.  My husband and I each had ours out the same year (not exactly the bonding item we'd have wanted in common!!) - he recovered even faster than I did and can eat more regular foods than myself - I still have to stay on a low fat diet, which is somewhat of a pain - BUT I would not trade having the horrid pre-surgery nausea I always had before surgery and pain attacks.

Just stay low fat for a bit after your surgery as your body adjusts, then slowly add it in - you will find out quickly what you can and cannot tolerate.

You'll be in our prayers here in the States!

• Posted

I cant see how to make a general reply to everyone but wow, thanks for all the replys and support guys razz made me feel a whole lot better

Interesting that ive seen a few of you reply regarding lifting weight several weeks later

What sort of weights are you talking sub 15kg(33lbs)? 

Fortunately my job is desk based so no real lifting, and ive 2 weeks off work and have figured i wont be able to do much, but we've a disabled daughter and she does require help.

My surgeon didn't mention much past the 2 week period!

Thanks!

• Posted

I was actually back at my desk job in 6 days but it wasn't easy. I was drained.

They say don't lift more than 4kg for a while. I know. That's nothing. I was lifting 23kg (in-laws luggage!) 3 weeks out and I opened an incision. It didn't even bleed but it was not pretty and took daily maintenance to heal.

• Posted

Sounds like you are making the right decision. I hope all goes well.
  • Posted

Update 19.2.17

Well i should be typing this post surgery, i did all my prep, got everything arranged, got myself nice and calm - arrived at the hospital to be told due to both lifts failing, and no way to transfer patients between theatre and recovery, the surgery would have to be cancelled! Dammit!!

I should hear Monday when its going to be re-scheduled rolleyes

• Posted

That's really bad , sorry you had to go through that on top of the stress of it all!!

Fingers crossed quickly this week for you.

• Posted

Oh no how annoying! I hope they can get you in for surgery sometime this week so you don't have to wait too long!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.