Gallbladder surgery imminent!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi folks, I'm hoping I'm writing this so I can update in a few weeks time saying all is good and it's not all a life of problems.

I'm a 39yo male and have suffered with my GB for 4 years, several initial attacks which resulted in diagnosis and scheduled surgery. I deferred this, partially due to family issues, mostly cos I didn't want surgery. Modified my diet and other than mild grumbles I've been ok.

I've had no typical triggers, and continued to occasionally eat things I probably shouldn't, spicy, greasy, dairy, things I nicknamed 'gallbladder busters'

Fast forward to late 2016 and a series of attacks, that seemed to be triggered by iced juices! resulted in a visit to the docs, bloods and markers that pointed to pancreatitis. I got re referred, confirmed 2 large stones, sludge and wall thickening.

My surgery is on Saturday, I'm still not 100% sure I want it! I'm an active outdoors fella, never sit still and have a busy year ahead. The thought of down time and probable diet problems is depressing the heck outta me. Flip side, it worries me what could happen if I continue to ignore it!

I'm hoping to update this with a positive outcome

Cheers!

Matt

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yikes! Horrendous. Hope the delay isn't too bad for you.

I realize forums like this usually emphasize the negative aspects of what they discuss, but looking in from the other side....it's sort of an eye opener.

• Posted

Well Matt, hope the surgery was successful!  If it was laproscopic or robotic you'll be up in no time.  Hopefully symptom free! let us know the outcome.

• Posted

Update - 2.4.17

Hello folks! Im now nearly 48 hrs post op! Thats right, my old friend Gally has gone.

Procedure went ok, remained as a laparoscopic cholecystectomy but i had to have a drain in after as my GB was loaded with puss, totally blocked and non functioning! Oooops!

Early days yet with food, sticking mainly to jelly, had some chicken broth last night. Got plenty of pain killers to munch on too, not normally my thing but im taking advantage at the moment!

I dont actually feel as wiped out as id expected too, just feel frustrated that i cant play with the kids!

Take care all :-)

Matt

• Posted

Thanks matt glad to hear it went well.

I'm in at 6.45 am and so scared but it's so helpful reading all this.

Terrified of the recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.