Gallbladder surgery incision issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically on July 19th. I was told this would be an in and out surgery and would be ready for work by the following Monday. Following the surgery the incision near my belly button was throbbing and stinging in pain to the point where I couldn't get out of bed. Each day it go worse and the painkillers didn't help at all. By Sunday I was at the ER where they removed the steri strip and saw white puss which they deemed infected. They kept me until Tuesday on antibiotics and sent me home one oral antibiotics and said it should be fine. The pain was still there, however better, but still very uncomfortable. Now my incision began to leak redish fluid. I went to the dr this past Friday and she attempted to drain the fluid but that failed so she had to reopen it and now I need to pack it twice a day on my own until it heals. Who knows when that will be!

I'm becoming very frustrated with this "routine" surgery, have missed two weeks of work now although I'm returning Monday hopefully pain free.

Has anyone had similar experience and can give advice on when the pain will officially be gone and I'll finally start to feel normal again!

Thank you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura this sounds awful I was told at least 2 weeks and the consultant said at least 3 months to heal , I'm not pain free now but I've had a lot of complications different to yours, I hope you are feeling better soon ??

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you're still in pain! What kind are you experiencing and how long ago was your surgery? I wish my doctor was more up front, I would have put this off for awhile if I thought it'd put me out for this long rolleyes

• Posted

Hey Hun my surgery was Feb 2015 I've had various problems gallstones stuck in my liver malnutrition to name but a few ??

• Posted

I am so sorry you are having an extra amount of pain and various problems that , to me, look like they should never have happened.  Here's hoping it will all come to a halt and the great healing will have begun.  Let us know how you are.  I care.

• Posted

I was in TERRIBLE pain for 2 weeks after surgery. painkillers didn't touch it. what worked for me was putting ICE on the area's that hurt. Boy the ice was COLD but it really helped me deal with the pain. this was in May. I feel great now and eat anything I want

• Posted

Was the pain where your gallbladder was or one of the incisions? I'm gonna try the ice thing! Thank you!

• Posted

I had no idea that keyhole surgery would be paiinful, but afterwords I could understand why I had pain. they do the surgery by poking those rods through your muscle !  The pain was AWFUL for 2 weeks and I could not sleep in my bed, I was up for HOURS everynight in such pain and finally thought I wonder if ice would help..BOY, it SURE did.  try it
  • Posted

Reddish fluid suggests spectisema. If it's inflamed and pink away from the cut go straight to a&e. to be sure. As a result of mine my kidneys failed and chest and lung issues.

• Posted

Oh my that sounds terrible! I'm glad you're ok now! The doctor seems to think its "normal" and her only response for why this happened is "it can happen" so I'm hoping she's right and it'll just slowly start to heal. Packing the wound is really gross and feels very strange tho sad

• Posted

When I see this sort of report, it makes me think they are sending patients home way too soon!  They need to stay and be observed for, I'd say 4 or 5 days and then go home.  Also, they should have sent you home with pain medicine, in case.  There was no need for you to be in agony all night and not know what to do.  So sorry it happened.  At least, you got yourself to ER or a doctor soon.  

• Posted

I am so sorry you had to go through this, it is hard without seeing your wound to say exactly, but just do exactly what they say, the inside was prevented from healing due to infection so now they need to clear up the infection inside (basically healing it from inside out) and close it up....7-10 days for infection and it will gradually heal...I dont know how big or how deep etc so its a guesstimate if i am getting your timing right, the pain part should get better as infection goes and the less packing or no packing gradually will feel better...if you have ANYMORE infection issues, you need to have them TEST the infection to be sure WHAT they are treating, right now its a blip and it should be better in a few days to week...if NOT go back in...Good Luck and Happy Healing...I KNOW this sucks but it sounds like you WILL be getting there SOON! 💜
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 12 weeks ago. Week 1 from hospital release, percocet was absolutely necessary to alleviate the pain from surgery. Week 2, reduced taking percocet from 6 per day to 3. week. Week 3, pain was manageable enough to reduce percocet to 1 per day. Week 4, stopped taking percocet as pain was moderate and manageable without it.

However, I should add that it wasn't until around 6th week that I felt fully well enough to move around freely without experiencing pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.