Gallbladder surgery mistake????

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started having pain in upper right back that wrapped around front in Oct after months of bloating/headache whenever I ate. After all the tests and scans they said I had no stones and my hidascan was 89%. But no relief so they decided to take my gallbladder out. When they removed it Dr said it had scar tissue and it was floppy like a deflated water balloon.

I am now 3wks post op and have had consistent pain/pressure under my right rib/back. I've had 2 "Gallbladder" attacks and can only eat soft foods like veggie rice soup, oats, baby food fruits. And today after a rough attack I am only drinking my meals (ensure clear). The attacks are shivering, cold sweats, collicky pain radiating to where my gallbladder was, nausea, diarrhea! I have a CT next week.

My question is, could my problems still sort themselves out with time or have I made the biggest mistake of my life?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I should add that so far my bloodwork looks great just slightly elevated liver enzymes... Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Erin,

Sorry you're going through this.  Hopefully, the CT scan will reveal what's going on.  Please try not to impute any "mistake" to yourself.  You consulted a medical professional, and relied on their best judgment.  Something else may be going on...hopefully, they'll find out what it is soon!

Best of luck!  Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Hi Erin

It's complicated & everyone reacts differently so don't regret just get them to check it all out quickly and get some pain relief that works.

Sphincter of Oddi is common after gallbladder removal but there are also lots of other reasons for pain so they need to help you xx

• Posted

Hi Erin, its still early days with recovery. Don't forget the inside takes alot longer to heal than the outside. Diarrhoea is very common after gallbladder removal as your body has to adjust to not having a gallbladder. Alot of people stick to low fat foods until they feel fully recovered. I have the odd night where I wake up in a sweat and feeling cold and I still get nausea and I'm 10 weeks post op. 

Let them see what the CT scan shows, as it may just be the healing process but there are other conditions that occur after surgery if the scan comes back as normal.

Let us know how you get on with the CT scan and we'll talk again. Good luck and I hope its nothing serious. x

• Posted

Thank you for all the kind words. My spirit needed that right now! I am having a better day today. I started omeprazole (per Dr) and it has helped the right side pain but I am not loving the side effects. I have a headache and my heart is racing? Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative natural or drug?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.