gallbladder surgery prep advise please

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi everyone ...

i will soon be having surgery. i would like to ask you for your advise on what i should buy food wise, heating pad?, or anything else you can suggest i get before surgery to help my recovery.

your response is greatly appreciated, thanks!

☺ b

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Low-fat foods, saltines and easily digestible foods. Heating pad will definitely help. Try to keep up with liquids and have faith that you’ll recover quickly! God bless.

• Posted

I found low fat foods nothing fried before gallbladder surgery

& I did plenty of walking, drunk lots of water etc,

after surgery my surgeon said u can eat what u like your gallbladder is out, I find this was fine I ate high fat although I did wait a week

But honestly u really need to find what works for u, some can have some can't, depends on a lot of things

hope this helps

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to say warm wheatpak lovely & don't do too much other wise u will know

• Posted

thank you so much. tomorrow i plan to go to target and get the heating pad for sure

• Posted

hi blanca, My advice to you would be to try to stick to a liquid diet for a month to really let your liver get ahead start in a sense. because without the gallbladder your liver works extra hard and that area needs to heal. so a fatty meal would stimulate bile production which would make the liver start working harder. hope this makes sense. so different types of soups with not too much fat and crackers, bread oatmeal bananas. eggs didn't sit well with me after surgery but that might just be me. try not to lift anything heavy for at least a month for healing.. and if scars bother you you should get scar cream. goodluck !

• Posted

oh and stool softener you will either get extremely constipated or have diarrhea so id ask the doc for some. goodluck!

• Posted

You may not have much of an appetite after surgery. Stick to low fat foods at first and gradually introduce fats in the following weeks. Everyone's experience is slightly different. Drink plenty water. Avoid spicy foods for a while. if no appetite try BRATTS: bananas, rice, apple puree, tea and wholegrain toast for first few days. Your body has to adjust to living without a gallbladder and it takes a while for that. Some have diarrhoea and others are constipated, whichever, gradually increase fiber as this helps soak up excess bile. i would not use a heat pad but take painkillers according to the advice given by your surgeon. i had open surgery and found the pain was not nearly as bad as the pain of gallstones. Rest, listen to your body and avoid lifting and you should be fine. Good luck!

• Posted

i ate a lot of plain oatmeal and mashed potatoes for the first few days. spicy and high fat caused a little stomach upset. basically for me, it was just take it slow getting back to a regular diet. it didn't take long for me though. My best advise is don't try to deal with that shoulder pain without the pain med. Just take the pain medicine for it and rest. it will pass in a few days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.