Gallbladder Symptoms and Dx: please tell me your story

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m looking for some input from you all. What started you on your journey to treatment and how what tests were done to get a dx?

Thanks! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Had my first proper gallbladder attack in December 2016 which was misdiagnosed as a UTI. Nearly 4 months later had another one and this time I had the classic pale stools as well. Went to my own GP this time and she thought it was gallbladder related so sent me for an ultrasound. This showed small stones which are apparently worse to get as they move around more so more likely to get stuck in a bile duct. 

Whilst waiting to see surgeon I was admitted to hospital with suspected cholecystitis. They did another ultrasound but couldn’t see the stones this time. Gallbladder was very swollen/distended at this point. Was then sent for an MRI scan and again they couldn’t see the stones. I then had a HIDA scan which showed ejection fraction of 31% (normal is above 35%) so galllbadder wasn’t functioning properly. Had a CT scan after this to make sure no other organs were affected.

Was admitted to hospital again with cholecystitis and got the gallbladder removed during this period in hospital. Before they did the surgery I had yet another ultrasound and the stones showed up on this one again. After removal the pathology showed I had chronic cholecystitis xx

• Posted

I don't know what a DX is please explain ?   All the symptoms of a gallbladder problem is very researchable as is the chemical way of dissolving them on the proviso they are cholesterol type stones.

The heading Ursodioxycholic acid on the net says it all especially from the USA due to that country's doctors being more numerous than here in the UK. If there is another valid explanation for that I am interested to hear it..

I have successfully completed about six months on the urso more than two years ago which rendered

my diabolical bloating plus pain under right bottom rib plus feeling sick as a dog starting at about 10 pm after the evening meal at 7pm & lasting till about 2 am. When the vomiting subsides & the feeling of wanting to croak it goes away bed.......  Then the research re flushing the gall bladder which works for some although this lemon and olive oil blast the next morning and a few mornings after that does work as I said for some it does not work for all sufferers. 

Being plagued with gall stones anything will be tried if the symptoms are bad enough and even removal of the offending organ....... For me thought the urso treatment worked a treat.

• Posted

Ultrasound shewed 5 stones = 17mm largest.  GPs all refused ursodioxycholic acid course & yet it has been well proven in literature as well as chemists all knowing the urso does dissolve cholesterol type gall stones.

My consultant 2 years at least ago said they will dissolve gall stones but his lady registrar had never heard of them! He also added that it was a nasty way of getting rid of them but for me it was a breeze & I would not hesitate to renew the course if I needed to i.e. if my symptoms returned.

My stones had reduced to what I stated within 6 months. I do not and did not have any symptoms after I

competed the 6 months course....... I was told that a liver function test is essential before starting the course and a few months after I believe my tests were every two months...... Although I asked for a scan when my liver function test was done they said no, not necessary & yet there is talk or rather 'hearsay'

that it (urso) does not work and is dangerous but that is Bull  Shine. all those who denigrate the chemical treatment should research what they are purporting before rubbishing something that works and avoids an

operation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.