Gallstone diagnoses

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys! I have recently been seen by my GP after suffering recently day in, day out with pain under my right rib cage and towards my back. It's a constant dull ache that is accompanied by sudden shooting pains. It is very sore to touch/press and during certain movements like bending down etc. My GP suggested this could be gallstones due to the location of my pain. I was hoping it was just muscular but it's not improved and the pain is becoming more intense. I am awaiting a scan but I'm very concerned at the thought of having my gall bladder removed. I also feel dissapointed in myself as I do over indulge and due to my job, my diet can be quite erratic. I am 28. 5'9" weighing 11.5 stone (not that it means anything!!) I would just like some advice and reassurance. I've recently had high grade malignant melanoma, large ovarian cyst which ruptured, high grade cervical precancerous cells, very low blood platelets and now this. At times I feel like I am going mad. I just want to be healthy!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry that you've been going through all this.  I can well understand how you can think you're going crazy.  Having so many health problems has got to be very, very stressful. There are a lot of factors that contribute to gallbladder issues, so don't beat yourself up about your diet.  Just deal with what you've got to deal with.    

None the less, please make sure to address the gallbladder issue as soon as you can.  xxx

• Posted

Hi Lynda, thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It just seems never ending. I have finally got my scan date through for 4 weeks time so until then I've just got to stay positive but I don't know how much more I can take!! sad I've lost friends through ill health so this forum helps alot xxx

• Posted

Hi, Carla!  You're welcome. By the way, there is a gallbladder diet on this site.  I'm sure that you're already eating pretty healthy, but you might want to look at it.  Best of luck to you, and please let us know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Your weight for your height is not excessive, Carla.

If the scan shows you have gallstones, have the surgery before it gets any worse. Leaving a sick gallbladder in situ is risky: jaundice, peritonitis, pancreatitis are just the tip of the iceberg. The gallbladder can rupture and the contents spill into stomach, intestines etc. Also, as symptoms worsen, it affects your life to the extent it becomes impossible to function: nausea, sickness, diarrhoea, intense pain that can last for days. 

I was also a vegetarian for many years but I still developed gallstones. Also I blame gallstones for a steady increase in weight before I had a diagnosis as I was unable to digest fat properly. I know you’ve  been through a lot, but you can’t ignore this if it is gallstones.

• Posted

Hello beenthruit! Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It seems that doctors like to use the 'watch and wait' tactic but as you say, that will only cause more problems and it is better to address the problem sooner rather than later. Reading the advice you have given me has definitely made me realise that would be the right thing to do. I didn't recover very well from my last operation so it does make me naturally very nervous about having another one. The pain isn't nice as you know yourself so it's not something I can put up with for long and the complications of neglect aren't pleasant. The doctors say it is down to diet etc but you tell me you were a vegetarian and I class that as a very clean, healthy eater but you still developed them so that just proves how wrong their information can be! Thank you so much for the advice. I am very grateful! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.