Gallstones

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have been on Orilistat since October and have manged to loose a stone and a half, its been slow but sure but I am really pleased with the results only another 1/2 a stone to go to a healthly BMI, I think I have developed gallstones, I have had three nasty attacks since Christmas, has anyone else had this happen? I have read that there is a very rare side effect of taking Orlistat or just a coinsidence?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would urge you to see your GP if you think you have gallstones. The only way to confirm it is to have an ultrasound scan. Don't leave it untreated as it can cause you problems later in life as well as being hideous when you have an attack.
  • Posted

I can only also urge you to see your doctor for a confirmed diagnosis of gallstones.

There was a year between when I was diagnosed with them (as my surgeon wanted me to lose weight) but then I had to have an emergency operation hundreds of miles from home because it had been left and had become swollen and infected - Was in hospital for a week and off from work for 6 after that - Would not wish that upon anyone!

• Posted

Hi Oyster,

Did you ever find out if your symptoms were caused by gallstones?

I have had a couple of really painful \"attackes\" which people have since told me sounds like gallstones. Both times I was on the verge of calling NHS Direct as the pain was so intense.

I am going to see my GP about this next week, but would be interested in finding out if you did get diagnosed with gallstones or not.

Take care,

Sue.

• Posted

Hi All.

I first started taking Orlistat in September 2008 but after a couple of months had to stop due to severe problems with my Gallbladder which I believe was greatly contributed to by taking the blues.

Five months later (after months and months of severe pain sometimes lasting for days at a time - which was not relieved by pain relief) in April 2009 had my gallbladder removed.

July 2009 started the blues again, after 3 weeks of being on them again the pain has started as before in the same place, only i have NO Gallbladder anymore?

I went to my G.P yesterday and i am being sent for a scan again, she suspects that I may have stones in my bileducts now, so am probably in for many months of waiting and pain again until I can get seen and sorted.

Can't believe that this is happening again.

Anyone else had this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.