Gallstones

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

just joined and hope someone can help

dr thinks I got gallstones just waiting for scan appointment. Get pain in middle of stomach and under right shoulder blade, when i eat it feels like a hard lump in the upper middle of my stomach (does that sound right) have to watch what I eat, but got lots of questions, is it always best to have it removed? After a day like today I could take it out myself! Had pain all day, the runs, loosing weight, no appetite , feel yuk, how long do people wait for op? Do they try tablets first? I not very good with tablets 

hope someone can help, thanks 

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I've just had my gall bladder removed I wasn't offered a choice and from what I've read tablets aren't that effective and take a while to work. I didn't have any trigger foods the pain just happened randomly. The day before the op I'd convinced myself I didn't need it only to wake up the next day in pain. Although I feel tired from the op I think I feel different for the better from having it out. I'm 42 BTW. Vx
    • Posted

Hi

thanks for getting back to me

can I ask how long you waited for your op? I hope you feel better soon, I ve been trying to find a reason for the pain ( different foods etc) but can't find a pattern, I'm 58 but sorry what's BTW mean?

linda x

• Posted

Hi I was referred in November and can't remember when I saw the consultant. But I did put it off until end of may. I had my preassessment in march. BTW = by the way ☺. There was no pattern at all to my pain the only thing for sure that caused it was alcohol and rich food combined. Oh and the day before my op I ate a pie and fish and chips as a test lol!

Vx

• Posted

Hi

gallbladder stones sit in your gallbladder and when your gallbladder contracts to squeeze bile out they can get squeezed out and get stuck causing pain or just cause your gallbladder to get inflamed and sore. So to stop the pain you've got to stop your gallbladder contracting to produce bile. It contracts to give more bile for fats . Caffeine causes it to contract and sugars ...I know it's pretty tough to eat no fat , no sugar and no caffeine but when I was waiting for my scan and operation it worked the pain was just a mild grumble . I didn't eat meat either ... But definetly no spices ... 

I had my scan dec 27th and had my operation February 5th .. Quite quick but I live in Cornwall.they tell you you will have the op in so many weeks... 

Another bit of info Rosemary Conley had gallstones and invented her low fat diet to avoid surgery for 3 years ... She then discovered she lost weight and sold it .....but nice diet to follow...hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi

thanks for info, I ve had stomach pains for a while but I ve cut out sugars, fats and caffeine just because I didn't t feel good after eating them, went to dr because just didn't t feel right, she examined me and o my goodness when she pressed under right ribs I nearly shot off the couch, she was worried because I keep loosing weight so I ve been eating things that I usually avoid and blow me I ve been in agony. I suppose in hindsight it all fits really, never thought of gallstones, have to see what scan shows.

linda x

• Posted

I had pains and really bad colic attacks for 15 years ... I ended up eating that strange diet and being told I had peptic ulcers and being put on omeprazole which did stop the attacks but not the pain. Then I went to gp like you and after examination sent for scan for gallstones. Then removed in operation day surgery I feel so much better now I can eat normally and I was always feeling rough under the weather now I feel better. Hope you get diagnosis quickly ...
  • Posted

Hi ducky ducky,

I am so sorry for your pain, and I do know exactly how you are feelingcry The symptoms you are having are very common.  As far as whether or not it is best to have your gallbladder removed, that is really hard to say since everyone is different and I think that at some point if the problem is not taken care of by some other means you may not have a choice.  I have heard both positive and negative by those who have had it removed, so you will be taking a chance having it removed although the alternative of leaving it in could be worse.  I am pretty sure if I went to a medical doctor today for mine they would want it to come out.  I have spent a lot of time researching alternatives and found a medical doctor who uses herbs, organic apple juice, and a few other things which is suppose to break down the stones and flush them out.  I am hoping to have everything here by this Friday so I can get started - it is suppose to take about four days after prepping.  I had the worst attack ever last Saturday which lasted over twelve hours.  The best I could do for a bit of relief was to get in the tub and lay in water that was as hot as I could stand.  Another thing I tried which helped but seemed counter intuitive was to mix a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in water and drink it.  I got desperate, so I tried it and have to say that it took a lot of the pain away.  Also, you need to be drinking a lot of water.  Eating too much food and the wrong kinds of foods will usually bring on an attack; the most common foods which will are pork, red meat, fatty foods, dairy, sugar, spicy foods, most flour products . . . which doesn't leave much on your plate except certain fruits and vegetables and maybe some nuts.  You can find a dietary list on the internet which will tell you what you should and should not eat.  I had my first attack when I was in my early thirties and am now in my fifties.  I was able to manage pretty well over the years by being careful what I ate, but sometimes I would be feeling just too good and let myself indulge too much on the wrong things and then received a very rude wake-up call.  Hope this has been some help to you.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you tbird

its all very confusing isn t it? I hope it goes ok for you, you ll have to let us know, hoping my scan won't be long, I'll let you know what happens

Thanks

Linda

• Posted

Yes and a trusted Surgrent Just had mine removed May 28 2014 I became afraid to remove it because of this site the big BUT am sure people do have real pain am in pain due to the surgery og removable of the GB Ive been deaing with for a year but became tooo painful ask me anything
    • Posted

I think you have to think about the quality of life, if your in pain, have it out,  hope I don't have to wait too long for my scan, I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for your help

Linda

• Posted

hi, i have had the pain in my stomache for over a year now but only been diagnosed since March this year. My GP put me on tablets like tramadol but that didn't work and now just been put on pathidine and that doesn't seem to be working. Had my pre-op nearly a fortnight ago but since then the pain has just got worse and now i am having trouble eating porridge for my breakfast. I have now been adviced to get in touch with my Consultants secretary and see if they can bump me up the waiting list. If you don't like taking tablets then they might be able to give you soluble tablets

• Posted

I ve been really struggling this week, bad stomach pains, but still waiting for scan, I can take tablets but it's the reaction I get, they usually affect my stomach and make me feel 'stoned'  dizzy and falling over, not very nice, hopefully now you ve had your pre op you ll go in soon, I hope so, it's awful isn t it, 
    • Posted

it is aweful. I wouldn't wish this pain on my worse enermy and I have been adviced to ring the doctors secretary up tomorroew and tell her about my pain over the weekend

• Posted

Man o man, I know that feeling. My surgery is not till the 22nd for July  and had the worst attack last night that I've ever had. Don't know what to eat and not eat till then. Cut out everything bad but got an attack after eating a couple bites of salad, now afraid to eat anything

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.