Gallstones

Posted , 40 users are following.

Does having gallstones cause bloating and abdominal weight gain along with chronic body pains? 

2 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm so glad I found this forum. My Dr always would say that nothing was wrong test after test and blood work nothing however the pain under my tight breast and rib cage would travel around my waist to back and shoulder even wearing a bra would hurt. All Dr said that was not common of gallbladder bloating gas butos after meals nausea. Er visit after visit two years later they found two polyps in my gallbladder. Dr says those don't cause pain and neither do gallstones. Whatever everyone I know who had gallbladder issues complaints of same pain. Why do the Dr's make it seem like we are crazy. I'm a nursing student and everything I have studied pointa to gallbladder even my professor who is a dr told me to get my gallbladder checked because of the amount of pain and location of it. I'm finally scheduled for surgery. So many symptoms so many people who share my experience I'm starting to feel better now knowing I'm not the only one.

• Posted

Hi Jasmine

I have had an attack of gallstones but no operation needed now as they went out themselves thru the bile duct..dont ask me how as iam not a doctor..

I still get pains when i eat a proper meal thou iam avoiding fat,fried food,butter or anything of sort,

the only thing bothering me now is i lose energy its been a month and i have not gained my energy yet iam still wondering if this is normal??

what i do not understand is i got different advise from different doctors one says avoid such foods the other says dont avoid them at once slowly as your body needs it .but fat does not do me good at all just confused..and still in pain and bloat from time to time..

• Posted

Ah thank goodness I found this!

I feel a little less like I'm sooking about nothing. I was having severe RUQ, side and shoulder pain for 2 years. (I'm 29 but I've been having this type of pain for over 10 years, however not as bad as it currently is).

Every round of bloods showed elevated LFT's however my GP just couldn't give me an answer. He said no pain relief, not even paracetamol or ibuprofen, as it would hurt my liver. Alas the worst pain I've ever had.

I'd wake up almost every night barely able to walk, vomiting and sweating profusely. All I could do was crawl into a hot shower for much longer than I should have given the droughts here in Australia.

I lost 20kg as I could not eat and had to live on juiced fruit and vegetables.

I decided to see another GP as I couldn't take it anymore. He seemed to not believe my pain and only after my partner had a stern talk with the GP he decided to order an US on my gallbladder.

Surprise, I had a large gallstone impacted in the neck of my gallbladder.

I was told due to bloods I needed urgent surgery.

That was 5 months ago.

Since then I'm constantly bloated, my pain feels like it's everywhere, the worst part is it burns, like there is coal in my RUQ, my shoulder and side feels like I've been attacked by a kangaroo!

In the last 6 weeks I've presented to ED at least once a week due to debilitating pain, nausea and (sorry for the description) clay coloured bowel movements. I'm in constant pain, though it becomes randomly excruciating frequently and for over 12 hours. My GP said to go to ED when this happend.

The last 2 presentations to ED the doctors refused pain relief and said I had gastroenteritis due to the vomiting. My temp wasnt raised & bloods were fine according to them, although my gp took bloods the day before and my LFT's were all elevated..

I had a surgery consult yesterday and was told it will be at least another 2 months before I can have it removed. No pain relief either rolleyes

This morning again I awoke in pain although I've not eaten in 2 days, really nauseous and sweaty. I tried the Murphy's sign on myself and felt the gallbladder pop out as I took a breath. I almost passed out from the pain!

I have no idea what to do. The last ED doctor I saw literally called me a hypochondriac and I don't want to go through that treatment again.

And I'm so itchy! So so itchy, however I have no jaundice.

Gah! Any ideas? I've missed so much university because of this sad

Sorry for the rant everyone. I'm at my Witt's end and I am seriously considering removing it myself :'(

• Posted

Sorry to hear of all your trouble, seems really unkind that you cannot get pain relief - is this usual in Australia?

?I've been unwell with what they attribute to gallbadder stones and disease for many months awaiting surgery in the UK and it has been something of a struggle. Is there any patient advocacy service there that you can ask to look into your case?

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you kindly for your response, sorry for the big read!

It's not common usually, unfortunately this has coincided with a focus in the media about accidental overdoses and deaths due to prescribed medications here. So I think they are being really cautious, understandable of course unfortunately that does not help me at the moment (I apologise I'm feeling so sorry for myself).

I am incredibly sorry that you're having to wait also. Remaining patient and understanding becomes a struggle whilst in pain hey.

There absolutely is, however the great South Australia is in the midst of their wonderful idea called 'transforming health'. This transformation is indeed happening, just oppositely than I presume they aimed for. So waiting lists are astronomical at the moment due to the closure of certian hospitals.

Do you have any indication when you may expect your surgery? I do hope you aren't in too much pain.

• Posted

Hi Krystal,

?I see what you mean, we have hospital closures and other issues with parts of the UK National Health Service here as well.

?I seem to have been one ofthe people who drew a short straw for my surgery as my first date was cancelled due to junior doctor's strikes, then subsequent ones also got cancelled for other reasons, staffing shortages etc. I transferred my care to another hospital as the first just could not seem to get around to my surgery and there were other issues. It means a wait until Oct, maybe Nov, but at a larger hospital.

?I was really ill at the end of last year and hardly ate or slept, but gradually the symptoms became less severe, although not gone of course. It feels more like a constant flu like condition and indigestion now with occasional pains and bloating/ indigestion, but I eat small amounts of foods that I find "safe". But I had these stones many years as they were seen on a scan for other things but the drs then said to leave them alone if not in pain. I think I might have had attacks but put them down to other things over the years.

?Have you ever tried any of the remedies that people on these groups say helps - like the cider vinegar etc? Or the castor oil packs to put on the abdomen and over the counter cramp medic.

• Posted

Sorry that sent before signing off, meant to say, I hope you soon have treatment and more sympathy from the medical staff. Keep posting how you get on, take care.
  • Posted

hi i have gallstones and yes they do cause bloating and alot of pain im in pain all the time with mine and have been to A&E like 7 times and been in hospital twice im now waiting on a emergency list for gallbladder removal. I also get lots of other symptoms aswell ive wrote alot about my symptoms which you can read and see if it helps. Hope you feel better soon take care from carmella.

• Posted

Hi am new to this just wanted to ask about me please I've been in pain now for about 3 years finally found a nice doctor who is going to be sending me for ultra sound the pain is in stomach it's travels though my ribs mainly on my right side I could just be sat down and I start getting the pain it's a sharp pain like statics shocks I've had meds to stop bleeding coz I've been bleeding to much for to long and always gets big clots as well very heavy bleeding and even intercourse is pain full and one got any ideas I am starting to get worried now

• Posted

Hi this is my main symptom bloating full after a meal have to undo bra aching and niggling pain in back more than violent attacks some days I'm really hungry some days like today if had a kfc and it hasn't affected me tomorrow i could be laid up in bed or feeling fab i just don't no because everyone's symptoms are different but I'd love to no if it's why i struggle with my weight i give in haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.