Gallstones

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm 35 and just been discharged from hospital waiting for a MRI scan for a 3cm gallstone ,this is causing me so much discomfort, I'm waiting for the results of my MRI to determin if im have just gallbladder removed or tube unblocked as well. I'm on paracetomol and oramorph for pain but still in so much discomfort is this normal,

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure whether it's normal - but I'm exactly the same!

I'm having my gallbladder removed next week, but it's been a long and agonising wait with many developing complications!

Like yourself, I've been prescribed Oramorph and been advised to take it with paracetamol. I was initially instructed to take one spoonful of the Oramorph. However, I'd take it, and sometimes 2 to 2 and a half hours later still be in the same level of pain I was initially. Eventually I started taking 2 spoonfuls at a time, and taking more when I felt sure the first dose hadn't worked (usually in about 45 minutes, but as I'm sure you're aware, patience can be short when you're in that amount of pain!)

I have since been back to a&e and explained that I wasn't getting any pain relief, to which the doctor advised me to take two spoonfuls and if this doesn't relieve the pain, take another 2 spoonfuls 2 hours later.

This is all well and good, but for me personally, the pain is absolutely unbearable, I vomit frequently, turn feverish, go VERY pale, panic and therefore struggle to breathe. At the time of an attack, a gruelling two hour wait is not the most appetising!

I was wondering whether my low response to the oramorph was because of the fact I have Hypermobility Sydrome, but it's interesting to see that someone else is in a similar position - when I tell the docs the oramorph isn't relieving the pain at all, I feel like they think I'm making it up!!)

I've just had an MRI scan also to see if I have a stone that needs removing in the bile duct. I've been to a pre op but they can't tell me the results yet sad Hopefully this, the problems it's caused my liver and bowel won't be too complicated to sort out.

I'm glad you're in the process of getting it sorted, as I feel it's one of the most underrated health problems of the century, in that it has so many possible SERIOUS complications.

Hope the results of your MRI come back as well as possible and I hope your op is sucessful smile

• Posted

I had gallstones. I have to say that I can only compare the pain to childbirth. I lost loads of weight as i was frightened to eat. Thankfully they removed my gallbladder by keyhole surgery. I'm grand now.
  • Edited

Well I'm glad everyone's op was successful mine has been a complete nightmare from the start what should have been a simple minor op has almost killed me I'm the 1 in 1000 that had serious bile leakage which put me bk in hospital I've had to have at to have a 9cm stent fitted also had infections 9weeks later and 2nd op to clean out bile lack age I'm still recovering.
  • Posted

hello everyone,im new to the gallstones problem.im a 30 years old female and been fit an well,my problem started when i was pregnant with my daughter,but never thought it was gallstones,told midwife and she said it was indigestion problem,after i had my daughter the pain started getting worse slowly,went to the doctors a few times and they said i had irratable bowl syndrome,the pain got so bad at times,i couldn't take it,even my husband got worried seeing me suffer like that,went doctors agen he sent me to have a scan where they said i had lot's of little gallstones and the only treatment was surgery,the removel of the gall bladder.i didn't want the surgery and was sent home with some pain relief {buscopan}.I was living with the pain feared when i might have my attack agen which was lasting me an hour atleast.someone told me to take a teaspoon of apple cyder vinegar in the morning on a empty stomach every morning,never thought it will work but it's really done me miracals.i don't even rely on my pills much and it's really working for me.anyone reading this should try it,im sure it wont do any harm to anyone,and if it works it's better then going ahead with surgery.gudluck to every1.
    • Posted

I Was the same as you 3 years ago. Didn't want the op, managed the occasional pain, changed my diet, avoided my triggers etc but what I was never told was that the gallstones will never get better and will eventually flare up again. When you get gallstones it means the gallbladder is not functioning properly and it cannot be repaired. Roll forward 3 years and instead of the occasional flare up I am in constant pain, back on the list and waiting for the op... I would advise you not to make the same mistake as me. Get it sorted now whilst you are not in pain!

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Melissa,I'm so sorry to hear that your pain came back hope u get well soon. It's been 4 years for me since I had my attacks,but thank god I've never had the flare ups like that again,I get the occasional little pain now and again but nothing severe,I have researched about it and ur right they can flare up anytime.at the moment I'm ok,but if I notice things getting any worse,I definitely will go for the op!! Ps thanks for the advice!!

• Posted

I've been suffering pain from gallstone attacks now since June. Since September I was averaging one A&E admittance every 5-6 weeks, but am now having daily attacks. I have just returned from my 5th A&E admittance since last Friday. My LFT results are worse every time and have to wait until mid January for the MRCP scan. The surgeon won't operate until this has been done as there is a high chance that the common bile duct is obstructed. I have tried combinations of Tramadol, Nefopam, Buscopan and Paracetamol which have been completely ineffective. More recently I have been given Dehydrocodiene instead of Tranadol - this too is ineffective.

I was told tonight that I can't keep going into A&E to have morphine, so don't know where that leaves me. The A&E doctors are keen to have me admitted despite the fact that this would not speed up the wait for the op. The trouble is, I also have severe M.E. and can not tolerate noise or bright lights. Admission would be guaranteed to cause a serious relapse of the M.E. symptoms, so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I can't cope with this anymore and would rather be put out of my misery with lethal injection than be left to suffer the way I am currently. This is inhumane!

• Posted

Hi there saw your post I'm having the same problems with my gallbladder but I've had this for about 5 years now and I'm waiting to go see a surgeon to remove my gallbladder as it's sometimes 6-8 times a month I'm having to go into hospital jut to get pain relief injections and I'm on strong painkillers I get 100mg of tramadol and when it flares up they don't even touch the pain one tiny bit, I hope you have got yours all sorted and your pain free now.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.