Gallstones

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just last week I had an ultrasound which confirmed I have multiple gallstones. The largest is 2.6cm in diameter. My gallbladder is also enlarged. I have been referred to a surgeon but warned it might be quite a wait. I am sometimes in so much pain that I cannot sleep or get comfortable. At best it feels like I have had a big meal that is sitting uncomfortably. My stomach blows up suddenly and is so hard and makes me look like I am about six months pregnant. Almost everything causes me pain: most meals, drinks even water, and standing up or walking for more than an hour. It really is a miserable condition. I think I have had it for years but didn't realise what it was until my sister was diagnosed last year. When she described the symptoms I knew that it was what I had. I am hoping the consultant will agree to take my gallbladder out, and that I won't have to wait too long.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did they tell you there and then or did you have to wait for the results? I was diagnosed over 10 years ago but it's started to bother me a lot again so am back at the Dr shortly and expect I will be sent for an ultrasound again.

• Posted

They indicated they could see stones while they were doing the ultrasound, but just two days later my GP surgery phoned me to say my doctor needed to see me regarding my scan. The doctor read the report to me and said they would refer me straightaway. Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.
    • Posted

Sorry to learn you're having trouble, but it's also good news that you're being referred.  I hope you don't have to wait too long to have your surgery!

Please let me know how you get on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.