Gallstones

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi for nearly 9 weeks now I have been in pain, past 4 weeks habe been very severe, was just diagnosed with gallstones and now waiting to see a surgeon, which I hope won't be long I have a 3 year old son and everyday I'm having an attack and lost over a stone and a half! Any one know how long it takes to see your surgeon as it's getting me down and can't eat most days.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I know it can be a couple of months depending on how busy they are but if it's affecting you this much you NEED to get seen sooner it's not fair other wise. They won't want to do it just after or before an attack either so you need to time it right, but same time you are suffering and once it's out and sorted hopefully you will be on a much better road.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. It's been very difficult at the minute keep having routine bloods took as well. I have been sticking to my fat free diet but I can still have an attack. Hopefully I hear from the surgeon soon.

• Posted

Hi Linzi, what medication(s) do you take whenever you get an attack? I for one had been diagnosed with gallstones last October. The attacks i usually get was like a heartburn indigestion kind of feels. 
    • Posted

Hi Jeff I'm currently taking dhydrocodine and omeprazole. To go back to doctor for more bloods tests. And still having an attack everyday! Still waiting to hear from the surgeon.

• Posted

Hi there, any update about your situation? I had been prescribe the same medication before. Hydrocodone and omeprazole. How long does is it last? Whenever you get an attack? Where’s the pain location? I always get mines in the middle (duodenum) area
    • Posted

And how often to do you take Hydrocodone? Does it help when you have an attack? I only took it once before.
    • Posted

Hi I'm still taking them. Yes that where I get most pain and right side of my back, been really worried as the weight I was losing with not managing to eat much, phoned the appointment line at hospital she told me I still had at least a 10 week wait still until I see a surgeon, also asked to get put on the cancellation list so hoping to hear soon.

• Posted

Does it relieve your pain when you take hydrocodone? Do you still get an a attack everyday?  10 weeks means 2 and a half months of wait. What do you mean by getting put on a cancellation list? 
    • Posted

Yes or every few days, that's the waiting list at least 12 weeks but only been 2 since I got diagnosed with gallstones, since it's a long wait you can get put on the list if someone cancels their appointment they will contact you.

• Posted

Hi I have had gallstones and I like u was getting an attack 2 times each week I was admitted many times to hospital but if u have an attack thy won't do any surgery thy have to wait till the attack has ended I was in and out that many times I new the nurses on first name Base's lol all joking aside because I was always in and I had 2 children to think of so was really difficult for me in the end it took me 6 months to get mine removed but I have had nothing but trouble afterwards but it us very rare as my friend has been great since hers was removed but basically if u only end up in hospital maybe 1-3 times thy might try to leave u the more u have ended up in hospital the quicker u will get them removed. My other friend because she has only been in hospital 3 times with hers thy have left her for 2 years to get hers out x

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, so you’ve waited 6months to finally get a surgery for your gallstones? After the surgery what kind of trouble do you feel or get? You still experience attacks even after removal? 
    • Posted

Yes I still get pains like before in the same place on the right hand side and in my lower back but not everyone does u. Are more likely to be fine there is just a small minority that still have the symptoms and unfortunately I am 1 if them but to be fair I was brilliant up to 8 months after the removal I was brilliant could eat anything and everything I wanted but u can get them again in ur bile duct but that is very rare

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.