Gallstones

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi

I have been diagnosed with gallstones. what are the foods I can eat and what foods do I need to avoid

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try where ever possible to eat a low fat diet.

You do not want your liver to be producing too much bile and storing in GB. When you eat fatty foods you need a lot more bile to digest these foods.

• Posted

thanks for that. I'm just a bit lost as I don't have an actual list of foods that I can and can't eat. just fed up of the pain now and not sure how long I'll be waiting to be seen

• Posted

Basically any food that has or needs to be fried.

Change to baked.

Look at your diet and see what foods trigger the discomfort.

Are you in UK - go back to Gp for referral to upper GI.

If you get really bad upper GI pain, that is off the scale, report to A&E.

There are a number of reasons you need to be seen, gall stones getting stuck, infection etc.

If you are not UK, sorry can not be of any more help.

AG

• Posted

thanks for that. I am in Ireland. I'm on a waiting list to see the surgeon but that's 3 months long. thanks for the advice

• Posted

Avoid anything with high fat content. and fried foods . cakes pastry. crisps, red meat etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.