Gallstones after bowel resection and iliostomy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. Some of you will be familiar with my saga by now. Bowel resection in may 2018 with iliostomy for 3 months and reversal. Had appendectomy in November last year and some adhesions repaired. Now I've developed attacks of back pain, quite low. My gp doesn't think kidney stones. But maybe gallstones. Has anyone who has had this surgery had gallstones? I know iliostomy can lead to other problems, even after reversal.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am very familiar with you and I'm very sorry to hear the ongoing struggles, I actually had dealt with sciatica from a bulge L5 disc from the pre-op enema, I still have limited stamina and am just this weekend about to really bite the withdrawal bullet from opiates (percocet) to help me get to a place where I can finally walk and lay down without shocking pain.

I started to work out and it really revealed how weak my muscles have become, oddly it feels like a stabbing type pain when I work out strenuously or do a strenuous activity like shoveling snow.

I'd see an Orthopedic doctor if the pain has you almost paralyzed like it did me, I needed an Epidural Steroid Injection and really pushed through basic stretching via Physical Therapy and walking regularly to get muscle strength back.

I hope you start to feel better, I know you've had it so tough post surgery 😕

• Posted

Thank you Rommon. Nice to hear from you again. I think i remember you mentioning that pain. I have had back issues since surgery ( let's face it, I've had everything lol) It could be that. It's right across the bottom of my back and makes me feel sick. It's different to the other back pain, but it could be nerve pain i guess . I think that could make me feel sick. It's not there l the time. My GP is puzzled, he's happier when i get advice from my surgeon. I had a scheduled appointment soon anyway, so I'll see what he thinks. I too am still on painkillers. Been on and off them for 3 years. I get off them and then something else crops up! Was your pain on one side only? Thanks so much for reaching out.

• Posted

Hi again rommon . More developments. Was unwell over weekend and constipated ( unlike me) was going yesterday but passing thin stools and feeling sick. My doc said i would get a hernia down the track, and i think this may be it. I have appointment with him ( my surgeon) later today.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that, I've been dealing with withdrawals from pain meds for a severely herniated L5 disc after my surgery, and I can really feel where the colostomy bag was with any kind of light workout or activity like shoveling.

Hope we both get better soon without more surgeries, my surgeon said I'm clear from getting a hernia, but the light pain where my bag was makes me wonder how healed it really is 😕

• Posted

Just back from surgeon appt. It's interesting you mention painkillers, that's what my problem is. The pain pills I'm still on are affecting my bowel. No hernia yet. I'm worried about giving them up, but i will have to. My back has never been the same after my surgeries. I don't take many, but i rely on them. But if you can do it, after terrible pain you suffered, then hopefully so can I.

• Posted

Its definitely doable, I'm past the oxycodone leaving my body, but my brain chemistry will take awhile to reset.

I have an interview tomorrow and haven't slept since Friday, I lay in bed but my mind and body is restless like I just can't get comfortable. I have 4 or 5 left, I'm considering taking one tonight to sleep once this week.

It's a very difficult path to walk when you've been through so much pain, and right after my surgery in the new year my employer is fire happy, so I have to drag myself into work like hallucinating tired.

But if I told them I even need a few unpaid days off, they'd let me go immediately 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.