gallstones and GERD

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am waiting for a gallbladder op in two weeks. I have kept my weight but lost so much weight in face hands, legs everywhere my rings are falling off and my glasses. I am 65 and look like 75. I have problems with terrible GERD and food is getting stuck it feels. I have a hiatus hernia. The acid is so bad they are arranging an endoscopy. But has anyone else experienced an increase in very bad acid with their gallstones. I am convinced something very bad is going on. I bloat out badly and if I dont take laxatives I dont go for nearly 2 weeks. Then all I get is diarrohea it seems. The opain is in my stomach more. I dont get shoulder paid or in between shoulder blades. I have had bad under the ribs pain which once caused a pancreatic attack. I am wondering if all this is caused by a gallstone being stuck and all I get when eating is acid and not the proper other digestive juices. Has anyone experienced this or do I really have two things going on. Anyone out there who has experienced this PLEASE reply I am sooo miserable. The GP has admitted I look ill at long last

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I was dreadful, frequently felt I had food stuck, had to chew chalk tablets and drink a few drops of peppermint oil in water for the acid stomach, also had buscopan for the pain. It took a few months after my Gallbladder was removed for everything to settle down, that was two years ago, I still get the odd acid stomach but at most a couple of times a week otherwise I'm now fine.
    • Posted

thankyou for taking the time to reply. I do so hope this is a gallstone!
  • Posted

I too have a hiatus hernia and before I had my gallstones removed had a real increase in acid. I kept a big bottle of gaviscon by the bed in case I needed it through the night. Since my op all that has quietened down so it really helped me. Does the pain radiate around to your back? When I had my first attack I thought I'd pulled a muscle. You probably wont need the laxatives when you've had your op as things tend to loosen up and go through quite quickly. I hope all goes well for you and dont worry x
    • Posted

thankyou for that. I have had middle back pain. So hope it is a gallstone problem.
  • Posted

Hi Baston ..... I too am waiting for my GB op on the 8th April.   I've experienced all that you talk about except the acid, and I think that is because I take Omepraole each day.   I've lost a lot of weight and have always looked young for my age (I'm 67 now), but feel I've aged ten years in the space of a few weeks.   I am very careful with what I eat - in fact my diet is SO narrow it really is very boring.  I find I can eat jacket potato but with no added butter or margerine, sweet potato, baked beans, fresh fruit and salad foods.  The one time I was tempted to eat some chips (I'm from England, so I'm not sure what you call them but they are potatoes cut in strips and fried) - well, I ate about 5 but did I suffer afterwards!   The pain was intense and scary and lasted over 11 hours.   I think maybe you should mention to your GP about Omeprazole because that will definitely help, or get rid of, the acid.   
    • Posted

I am the same as you I have lost so much weight in my face and I KNOW I look much older now than 65. I too always looked young for my age till now! I wont care if only all my problems are gallbladder related and not the big C!! I cant eat anything without burning pain and acid so I must have two things going on!! By the way I am English ha ha. so I know what lovely chips are xx
    • Posted

Your GP really should give you something for the excess acid; you would feel so much better if you didn't suffer that aspect of gallstones it would be a step in the right direction.   I too thought I must have something very serious going on.   I had an endoscopy at my rear end and a camera down my throat.  So, soon I shall have the offending GB taken out.   Wonder if I'll be able to eat chips again !!!!!
  • Posted

Hi 

all I can say is I had terrible acidic stomach burning pain ulcer like symptoms as well as my gallstone symptoms ..I was on omeprazole twice a day and just eating gaviscon all the time and once my gallbladder was removed no acid reflux no indigestion ... The surgeon said when the gallbladder is full of stones it can't work properly ...

I can't believe it ... I can eat fruit curry etc no pain no indigestion ...

once your gallbladder is removed you should get a gentle triggles of bile ...into your stomach...I now don't think I have enough bile as I can't digest bread easily . 

But I am happy ..pain free ..😀👍

So it won't be long and your gallbladder problems will be sorted ..

• Posted

thank you I do so wish all my symptoms are because of the gallbladder. Glad you are now pain free!
  • Posted

I am waiting to have an ultrasound scan on 17 April as i think i too may have gallstones as although i have suffered from reflux for 12 years (taking Omprazole), just lately it has been getting worse and it's worrying me now so i need to get this scan done to find out what my symptoms are coming from.  I must admit if i do need an op i am quite scared
    • Posted

thanks for replying. I hope they will take your gallbladder out. I am scared like you but not so much the op but about the acid getting sooo bad. I have a croaky voice, cough and shallow breathing where its affected them. Good luck. You will be in good hands.
  • Posted

I've been taking pills for acid/heartburn and can't get off them now. I had my gallbladder taken out last May. Pay attention to what you eat and see if certain foods trigger it. I still have to watch my fat content (fatty foods are our enemy) stay away from caffeine /yes chocolate too😩 and foods with acid like tomato sauce/pizza. I had to wait to get my surgery and I lived on chicken noodle soup. Good luck!
    • Posted

thankyou for that. I seem to have soo much going on and it is a worry but I do so hope it is a gallbladder problem.
    • Posted

It took me about 18 mths to settle down, I've found post surgery I shouldn't cut fat out completely, bile is there to breakdown fatty substances. I find if I cut out all fatty foods I get more acidy stomachs, because of that constant trickle of bile into my stomach, I just have to strike a happy medium.

Oh I forgot both before and after surgery I've found eating yoghurt (and especially those pro biotic drinks) help my stomach. Can't hurt to give them a try.

• Posted

thank you for that Susan69134 ..... very interesting - I thought I would have to cut fat out altogether, but what you say makes sense.   My op is due early next month - I shall be glad when its all done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.