Gallstones and itchy skin

Posted , 5 users are following.

An ultrasound found that my gallbladder is wrapped round a 2cm gallstone (there may be more ) and I'm now waiting to hear about an op. Symptoms include reflux and chronic hiccups though Buscopan is helping a bit with the latter.

But also my torso and arms itch and even sting terribly. The right side is worse. The GP says that it can't be due to the gallbladder as I would be jaundiced as well. Does anyone know about this? Otherwise I can only think it is down to the liver. Tests were fine 3 months back but I'm having another blood test this week.

Either way does anyone have any suggestions for relieving the symptoms? I don't think the GP understands how bad it is. I feel so unwell apart from this that I even looked online to see if I could afford a private op (I can't) to speed up treatment. But at least dealing with this one symptom would help.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi chris2, i have this too! and on and off yellowing, not all the time with turning yellow but it really is related! my gp has given me a really strong antihistamine called fexofenadine hydrochloride 180mg tablets! they do give some relief as i was at the point i wanted to rip my skin off 😫 im due an op soon to remove my gall bladder thankfully! but wish you luck

• Posted

Thank you. The only thing is I haven't had any yellowing yet But it's at it's worst evenings and in bed. I try to resist but if I once give in then I'm riving at my upper body like a mad thing. My skin then gets painful plus I end up with sores where I have broken the skin. The GP gave me that antihistamine too but it doesn't seem to help. However I got a cooling menthol cream online which does calm things down for a while. I did read that the itching is due to circulating bile and that there is a med for this so going to ask about it.

Good luck with your op. My consultant appointment is not until 21st. I'm going to beg for an early date as I have a lot of pain too.

• Posted

chris, how are your liver enzymes, alt,ast, .alk phos, and ggt?

have you been tested for viruses?

• Posted

Thanks. My liver, blood and urine tests checked out ok but then was then taken to hospital as an emergency. They found my gallbladder was not infected but I was kept in on oxygen nearly 2 weeks as they had diagnosed a lung condition and inflammation. Discharged yesterday to be be treated as outpatient but still on pain meds for presumed gallstone pain and unexplained 'neuropathic pain'. The itching though has subsided to be replaced by other things.

While on emergency admission, I missed my gallstone consultation at another hospital which claims that it wasn't cancelled (as requested) by the hospital treating my lungs so I have been 'put back' and have to go back to my GP to beg for an expedited appointment.

Can't see the GP till later this week.

You couldn't make this up. I suspect the gallbladder is inflamed if not actually infected and that this and lung inflammation have caused ALL the nerve and other pain. I am on the maximum pain meds and they are not cutting it. Was actually on morphine when in hospital.

Getting desperate.

• Posted

thats terrible. i hope you can figure this out soon.

• Posted

Thanks. I've got to the point where I don't know what pain is being caused by the inflammatory condition, what is due to the gallstone and what might be neuropathic pain due to possible nerve damage. Currently on 2 paracetamol and 60mg codeine 4 x day, 20mg Amitriptyline, Gabapentin 100mg 3 x a day, 40mg Prednisolone - plus Ranitidine to protect against the Prednisolone. Not forgetting the laxative to counteract the codeine!

GP tomorrow is one of the better docs and she will hopefully be able to expedite the gallstone business. Whatever you do don't come down with two conditions at the same time being treated by two different hospitals. They seem incapable of communicating with each other.

• Posted

Just back from the GP. She will try to expedite the gallbladder consult. Not holding my breath. Problem is I am in a lot of pain but the CT scan 2 weeks ago didn't show an obvious infection so they are even querying whether it is the gallbladder causing it. I've heard about people being driven to going private and now I understand why.

The other problem is that the original gallbladder consult was scheduled at a much closer hospital but they have recommended I get treated at the hospital which admitted me as an emergency re the lung condition. That's because they will have ready access to all my test results. I was told that if I get seen at the closer hospital they won't have that as they come under a different Trust. I'm astonished. I thought today's NHS was all about joined up records!

• Posted

They still do everything via letter/post just to give you a further kick in the teeth! It's 2019 and dealing with the NHS is like going back to 1945, yes Chris the whole NHS is pretty astonishing!

Yep more and more people are resorting to paying private also, it's SH👎T!!!

• Posted

Re a dodgy gallbladder it seems they are happy to send you home to suffer in pain for weeks and even months down the line. In between times you might just get the odd spell in hospital to deal with any infection but you will only get an expedited procedure if it is absolutely necessary. I wish I had a spare few grand but I'm retired now and that would be my savings gone.

• Posted

HI

Think your doctor is right. if the gallbladder isn't working as it should, there's always the possibility of jaundice. I had this happen to me. It affects your liver, hence the itching. Ask your doctor to prescribe something to stop itching if this is bad.

Be very cautious with the other symptoms of jaundice: yellowing of eyes and skin and producing dark urine and pale stools. If this occurs, see medical help at once as it can lead to sepsis, which is very serious.

I found sticking to a low fat diet leading up to surgery helped. Also switch to wholegrain bread, pasta and rice.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

did you have jaundice with itching? how were your liver enzymes?

• Posted

Thanks folks. No jaundice and liver enzymes fine. It now seems likely that itching, burning, tingles etc were due to an additional inflammatory lung condition which they only just discovered.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.