Gallstones didn't show on CT Scan?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with gallstones last April via ultrasound, but I just had a CT scan done of the abdomen a few days ago, and it said

"CT does not show the gallstones of prior ultrasound."

Where did they go?? Why didn't they show up on the CT scan, but did last year on the ultrasound? I just posted a recent forum on here asking about gallbladder/gallstone removal, and chronic nausea.

Anyone else had this happen with a CT Scan? 

I also have an enlarged liver of 19cm, which was only 18.8 cm last April when I had the ultrasound. Could the liver be causing my chronic nausea rather than the gallstones??

I still get pain after I eat or move around after I eat, or if I eat a fatty meal, so I'm assuming my gallstones are still present. I just wonder why

they would not show up on my CT scan. 

I'm only a 21 year old female, obese but exercise quite frequently, non-smoker, non-drinker. 

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

And I recommend you don't experiment alot like searching online and drinking or eating whatever you find cos what's suitable for others may not suite u 

try having another Ultrasound if it shows negative then it's not a gallstone 

• Posted

I try not to listen to too much hohah on the internet, but I do hear ACV has worked pretty well to ease the pain somehow. I've heard ultrasounds can also miss stones, too! I'm not sure what to ask for when I see my doctor again! I think on the CT scan, it said my kidneys, spleen and all were in good shape. The only bad thing was my enlarged liver. 
  • Posted

I know its been literally years since this discussion. However I found it interesting, as the same thing almost identical happened to me here in the United States. 

The ER Doc wouldn't listen, i told her, it wasn't an Ulcer I had multiple Ulcers, this is not that. I told her it is NOT a kidney stone, i have had 3, this is not that. I think I was nearly in shock from the pain. I was soaking wet from sweat, shivering and could barley talk between the pain and the Dry Heaves. The would not listen to my wife who told them , I had a CT 6 months ago that showed Gall Stones, and She has had the exact same thing happen, and had hers removed 20 years ago. They didn't listen, did a CT Scan, then the next morning did an Upper GI. Both showed nothing wrong. Blood Tests one after another came back fine. By this time i'm admitted in the Hospital. after 4 days, they tried discharging me saying we cannot find anything wrong we will continue testing as an outpatient. I Said "Listen I am not leaving this Hospital in this much pain" I want an Ultrasound. I want a Surgical Consult. 

They did a HIDA Scan, although I had to bail out of the test after 59 mins. It can take up to 3 hours. the way they make you lay just so happens I get Back spasms and I could not tolerate the back pain anymore and told them get me out of this thing. took them another 15 mins to get me out.The Radiologist Dr said call upstairs and tell them to get 2 mg of Dilaudid ready for him. Well the Hospitalist (What they call the Primary Care Dr in the hospital overseeing your case, not only did not have it ready. it took her 1.5 hours to get me, not 2mg, but 0.5 mg. I know darn well this Woman thought I was just a Drug Seeker and probably didn't believe i even had the pain. Well They the Surgeon came in. WOW, What A DIFFERENCE! This guy had a 5 star rating with over 800 Patient ratings. This guy spent 25 mins listening to me. His first words were, well your gall bladder is bad and we need to get it out. Keep in mind I came in on the 2nd of Aug, This was now 5th of Aug. He said I scheduled surgery for tomorrow morning. I will tell you, had I seen you in the ER, I probably wouldn't even needed to do any Scan. Just by your Textbook Symptoms and past CT showing Stones. He also said that a CT Scan is a horrible diagnostic tool for Gall Bladder blocked bile ducts. They simply don't show up. First test he said should have been an Ultrasound. Now he says we are going to get rid of this pain. I cried. it was that frustrating. He also upped my Pain med to 2 mg of Dilaudid. PRN 3 hrs. My normal Morphine and Percocet twice a day for (RA). which they stopped for no good reason. Along with Stopping unbeknownst to me my AntiDepressants. By day 4 I am having serious Withdrawal symptoms from not having my Anti Depressants. So I felt ANgry every second, and was Yelling at the Nurses, my Wife, or whoever else happen to say something mildly off putting. It Was an absolute HORRIBLE experience. But the saving Grace, The Surgeon was TOP NOTCH. The Nursing Staff were Fantastic! So I go into surgery on the 6th. I come out into recovery. Surgeon tells me the GallBladder had already become Gangrenous. And apologized for the anguish I must have needlessly suffer. (Not his Fault) but he was the only one to say I'm Sorry.

Friend, Your Symptoms sound like a Gall bladder obstruction. You cannot afford to have it rupture. You must get Angry and tell them to do a MRI or Ultrasound, or HIDA scan (if you can endure the 1-3 hour test.) This are the only proper Diagnostic methods. 

I hope All is well. I certainly hope my words are moot, because they already have removed your gallbladder.

I wish you Peace and Happiness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.