Gallstones diet - what should I eat?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi does anyone know if it's ok to have eggs if you have gallstones. I am keeping to a low diet which is really boring but am terrified in case I get another gallstone attack. Am on the waiting Iist for the operation but in the meantime am trying to keep healthy. Any suggestions which may make my diet more interesting would be appreciated.  Thank you 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

You should be able to eat eggs in moderation.   Eggs contain choline which helps the liver gently clean itself. There is a gall stone diet on this site.  You can also try the fodmap diet, which is available on line. Since each person is different, it's often trial and error.  Hope this helps.  

• Posted

I think its kinda, trial and error in the aspect of what you can and cannot eat as everyone is different and different foods can cause issues for different people rolleyes.

I hope its not long until you get your surgery. Mine is booked in for next friday! After about 5 months of waiting smile cant wait!

• Posted

I’m not surprised you can’t wait! Hope everything goes ok next Friday and you heal quickly 💖. What’s the first thing you can’t wait to try eating again after it’s out? xx

• Posted

Anyrhing that contains cheese 😂 its my favourite food and i havent been able to eat it at all! Cannot wait smile

• Posted

Hahaha that was what I wanted too! Had crackers and cheese a few days later then macaroni cheese within the first week post-surgery too lol. Actually gonna make that for tea tonight. Haven’t tried pizza or any takeaways yet as still a bit wary of eating too much fat. Was only rarely I wanted this before anyway so not really missed it xx
    • Posted

Macaroni cheese sounds soo good right now, and cheese on toast! I havent had a pizza in so long! I think id be nervous to eat a take away too tbh. Lots of greasy fat! Why dont you try a shish chicken kebab first if you like them that is. They have a lot less fat than more take aways.
  • Posted

As far as I knew eggs were quite high in fat. It’s not something I eat though. I eat a lot of chicken though and some fish too. And steak isn’t too bad either, especially if you grill it on the George Foreman too. Love a steak marinated in Levi Roots reggae reggae sauce then all cut up on a ciabatta. Or I’d have sweet and sour chicken with peppers added. Again minimal amounts of fat are in rice and the uncle bens sauce. Had bagels and cream cheese as you get Philadelphia cheese with less than 3% fat (had a lot less fat than the lowest fat butter). 

Can’t remember if you’re in the UK or not but you get Best if Both (BOB) milk in Asda and Tesco which tastes like semi skimmed milk but is either fat free or less than 1% fat. Tastes lovely!!

Made chicken, pepper and pasta bake. Again was a jar of Dolmio sauce but most pasta sauces are low in fat. 

Haddock done in breadcrumbs too then McCain do oven chips which come in bags with either less than 3% or less than 5% fat. Then had peas with this too.

There’s Heck (I think that’s what they’re called anyway) sausages in Tesco that are meant to be really nice too!

Not sure if you’re a fan of making your own soups or buying them. From what I can remember soups like Scotch Broth, Minestrone and Vegetable are low. 

For breakfasts weetabix with sugar, Frosties, toast with just jam, bagel with the less than 3% fat Philadelphia, mullerlight yogurt, grapes, oranges or bananas. 

Snacks - Walkers Baked Crisps and Walkers French Fries were lowest I found. Believe it or not hot cross buns were low in fat! Most fruity sweets like fruit pastilles are good too if you need a sugar fix. Or Rich tea biscuits. I bought marshmallow fluff and had this on them. 

Myself and my best friend were both on the low fat diet whilst waiting for surgery so when we found decent stuff that was low in fat we were always telling each other haha. We weren’t worrying about the calorie or sugar content of things, were just making sure they were low in fat or fat free haha xx

• Posted

Thank you so much - think you could be my personal chef!! Yes I'm in the UK. A couple of years back I lost quite a lot,of weight with slimming world so really as it's low fat I think I'll more or less stick to,that.  I heard marshmallows are ok to eat. Just really want to make my dinners less bland. So shopping at Asda today and will look for those McCain chips as well. Are the McCain jacket potatoes ok as well?  Heard apple juice is good as long as it's pure not concentrated. Just trying to help myself until I get a date for the op. 3-4 months apparently but hopefully not! Thank s again for the advice x

• Posted

Haha no bother. Me and my mate are always checking the back of packets for fat content. We stick to things with less than 7g of fat per 100g. I’m not sure about the jacket potatoes actually but assuming they’ll be low. 

Marshmallows are fat free if I remember rightly. Bought the marshmallow fluff and Levi Roots stuff out of B&M. Then the boil in the bag Uncle Bens rice there too. So much cheaper than supermarkets! They’ve got Blue Dragon stir fry packet stuff that’s lovely too. 

Pasta is very low in fat and white rice has less than brown rice which I found strange too. 

It’s mostly things that have cheese, mayo, cream or chocolate in that bumps the fat content up. We were in M&S yesterday and some of the sandwiches were sooo high! I usually get the ham and mustard mayo which is only 6.5g fat for it all. We actually went to Subway too. Steak and cheese 6 inch sub is only 7g fat! They’ve got the fat content of all of them on the wall beside where you order. Looks like it’s in a picture frame. Never would have thought I’d be able to eat that!

You’ll be checking the fat content of everything from now on. And don’t think that will change even when you’ve had the surgery. Or it hasn’t for me anyway xx

• Posted

Hi Scottie,

Just a couple of hints.  Some fats are good for you, such as coconut oil and grass fed butter.  In moderation of course. Also, most manufactured convenience foods may indicate that they're low in fat, but they are high in sugars to make them palatable.  So, sugar and carbohydrates (which become sugars during digestion) need to be monitored as well.  

People who eat diets high in sugars end up with fatty liver disease, in which the liver becomes unable to digest fat, but instead, stores it in itself and in the body. "Low fat" but "high sugar" convenience foods became popular in the US--and lots of folks ended up with fatty liver disease.  Hope this helps.    

• Posted

Yeah I eat butter and don’t actually eat much processed stuff either. No microwave meals either as can see how much fat, salt and sugars are in them all. They actually make me feel sick.  

Usually make homemade soups so no added sugars. Then mince and tatties, chicken and veg, roast and potatoes. Even homemade sandwiches for dinners when I’m at work. Take all homemade stuff and plenty fruit especially for nightshift to keep me going. Those were just ideas for now and again to mix things up a bit. Totally appreciate the advice on the added sugars to stuff though 😘 xx

• Posted

You're welcome! Your diet sounds very good.  Some folks just have to be careful with what they eat--especially after gallbladder surgery!  

• Posted

I bought oven chips today with 3% fat - roughly how many chips would you have for a serving? 
    • Posted

I just guesstimated a handful. Suppose you could actually weigh them to measure the portion of what it says on the bag though. Wasn’t too exact with portion sizes though as fat content of them weren’t too high anyway xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.