Gallstones/Gallbladder

Posted , 5 users are following.

For some time now I've been getting sick stomachs with nausea almost every week. This is often accompanied with "loose stools" in the morning. I find it very hard to eat as I have no apetite and constantly feel like being sick.

Also, for about 3/4 weeks i've been getting pain under my right rib which is sore and tender to touch. This pain also moves around to my upper back and lower back aswell which feels like kidney pain but I've been tested for kidney infection many times.

My stools are also somewhat very lighy in colour much lighter than usual which is not normal for me and I always feel like i have a temo when i dont.

Could this be gallstones? And what procedures would the doctor take to check this? I'm sick of not being able to eat properly and having to take many days off because I feel so unwell.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It could be. A doctor can send you for blood tests and ultrasound which *usually* spot gallstones. Pain under the rib is a symptom. I had fairly classic symptoms. Pain started almost always in the evening after dinner or in bed. It starts like a tightening and a stitch and loads of stomach gargling. It gets worse to a point you don't know what to do with yourself. You may feel like burping, breaking, wind, urinating or anything like that might ease the pain. The bloating is horrendous and any pressure round the middle is agony. If you've ever given birth it's comparable to contractions. Suddenly the pain just goes from between 20 mins to 2 hours.

Not everyone has classic symptoms though. I suffered for over three years with attacks and I pretty much knew what it was. I didn't realise how serious it can get though as the attacks eventually lead to cholecystitis, the pain does not go away and you need hospital then it's a very long wait for surgery. Go to your GP and get it checked out now if I was you. I wish I did that. Cholecystitis put me in hospital for nine days back in October. I'm having my gallbladder out next month.

In the meantime, eat a very low fat diet. I'm on less than 3% fat. It's very hard to stick to but worth it to lessen attacks.

• Posted

Hi, Ted,  yes it could be gallstones.  Each person's symptoms are a bit different--and not all people have the classic symptoms of gallbladder disease.  Your doctor may request an ultrasound or other procedure such as a CT scan which would provide additional information.  He might also want to do a blood test and check for your liver enzymes.  In my experience, none of the tests I had were painful or invasive.  However, it's important not to put off doing anything until you're really sick and needing immediate relief.  Good luck, and let us know how you get on!
  • Posted

Definitely sounds like the classic symptoms. Eat low fat, and keep hydrated. I had an ultrasound, which spotted my gallstones. Good luck to you. 
  • Posted

Was at docs yday, he said it could be gallbladder problems but he wasn't sure. Going for blood tests today and have to go back next week.

He gave me anti-sickness tablets but I still have awful nausea and sick stomach I've had this for about 5 days straight now, does anyone have any tips on how to relieve it? I can't even leave the house its so bad.

• Posted

When my gallbladder went bad, it took me eating the BRAT diet and Zofran twice a day and that barely kept my symptoms at bay.

I was on that for 4 months before I had my gallbladder out.

I had some of the classic symptoms, but mine was hyperactive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.