Gallstones in a 13 ye old

Posted , 7 users are following.

My son has been diagnosed with gallstones and waiting for the operation to remove gall bladder. He has now been put on a no fat diet as just by eating low fat was still causing him to suffer with bouts of pain. Need help to know what foods are no fat as he is a typical fussy teenager not liking many foods

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry your son's going through this!  There Is a gallbladder diet on this site.  xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I have had a look at it but his GP is now saying not even chicken as it still has some fat in it
    • Posted

Well, you might want to look up a no fat diet on the internet.  But, the gp is putting you in an impossible position, by not offering you information on what a no fat diet actually is...
    • Posted

Thank you all I was said was to give him pasta veg and home made pasta sauce.
    • Posted

Well, think about home made pasta sauce. I'm assuming you're using tomatoes, which are acidic.  I can eat a bit of tomato, but not cooked tomato. Your son is already dealing with bile, which is extremely acidic.   

Yes, chicken does have some fat in it, but one can find canned organic chicken, which has little fat.  Eating no fat is really not very healthy.  There are good fats that the body needs to have in order to get essential nutrients.  Most doctors know nothing about nutrition, unfortunately. xx

• Posted

So sorry to hear that your son is going thru this it must be really hard if its hard on adults i recently myself got diagnosed with gallstones after having my baby which has been so hard had two gallbladder attacks last one was on may 13 since then i have been trying to eat healthy stay active and drink alot of water . Im scheduled for surgery july 11

Try buying anything with whole grains

Choose leaner meats like fish chicken breast tuna in water alot of fruits and vegetables .

My morning starts with either a bowl of oatmeal a banana and a piece of toast i have been lucky to tolerate peanut butter because i heard it has a lot of fat so that helps to keep me full for longer for lunch ill make me a salad with some grilled chicken it does get boring after a while so try to add as many vegetables you can i like to put cucumber carrots sometimes a small amount of sliced tomatoes because of the acidity , a turkey sandwich has also made it thru my list , for dinner i have kept it simple with either a piece of chicken breast or fish a full serving of steamed veggies and a small serving of either white steamed rice mashed potatoes baked potato or a side salad i hope this helps i was very lost when i first found out about these gallstones afraid of what to eat and not to eat the pain is horrible and every body is different and reacts different too what might work for one person wont be the same for the other so kind of test things out try going in pinterest and you tube for more ideas hope your son feels better.

• Posted

Thank you so much that has been very helpful. He has been having long term pain for few days each week so missing a lot of school. I will try and be much stricter with his diet as we don't have a date yet thanks again

• Posted

A vegetarian option of Quorn mince and Quorn pieces don't contain fat, but because they have a lot of protein it gives you a fuller feeling.  You could make a homemade soup with lentils and veg.  I wasn't allowed any fat as my liver was being affected, so it is important to stay off fat.  I'm so sorry your son is having to go through this trauma.  With best wishes.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out last August, I have found that I can eat most things, asked my consultant about diet and was told that I can eat anything. I am finding out that eggs, strong cheese, fresh cream, high fat foods and very spicy foods can give me stomach aches, but on the whole I can eat most things. Think that it might be a bit of trial and error to see what your son can and can't eat, I have changed my diet and eat five percent fat mince and look for lean cuts of meat and chicken without any skin on

• Posted

Poor kid!!  He's young to have it catch up with him!  Chicken is usually good, (not fried or breaded obviously).  Fish is good if he'd eat it?!  Trout is really good as I found this worked for me.  Turkey is usually ok and I could eat Peameal which is a less fat type pork.  Rice is usually good.  It's hard to find foods without fat as you know!  Good luck and hope he gets his operation soon!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.