Gallstones is it necessary to remove gallbladder

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

About 5 weeks ago had a really frightening experience - was fine when went to bed woke with up with a stabbing pain in my chest, was sweating, suffered with palpitations - husband thought I was having heart attack! This went on for about an hour then I vomited and after about another hour felt better. When woke in morning felt find and had normal breakfast butter on toast, within an hour was in pain again and felt sick, did not eat anything else all day and again felt better. Next day skipped breakfast and had cream of tomato soup for dinner, again within an hour felt sick and pain returned, thought this is not right and managed to get an emergency appointment at doctors. Doctor examined me, I had a pulse of 140 and my blood pressure was sky high was also running a temperature - doctor said he thought the pain was coming from my gallbladder and prescribed antibiotics and a pain killer and arranged for blood tests and an ultrasound. Bloods came back all over the place, amalyse levels of 240 and when had ultrasound nurse said that there were definitely gallstones. Trouble is five weeks on I now feel fine bloods are back to normal but I am existing on a fat free diet! I now have an appointment come through for next week to see the surgeon with the view to removing my gallbladder.

Cannot help thinking should I have it done or should I wait and see what happens - would welcome comments from anybody if they have had same dillemma :shock:

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Benji

Yes - I have the same dilemma although my symptoms don't sound as serious as yours. My amalyse had continued to rise to 221 which was why the ultrasound was done and hence the discovery of the stones. I have lots of gallstones diagnosed in 2007 and have had 1 attack in the night about 6 months ago which frightened the life out of me. I only had the pain, sweating, couldn't breathe but no vomiting. I can actually feel my gallbladder at times when I bend over - doesn't hurt, is just very uncomfortable. My GP recommends having it removed and wants me to talk to a surgeon as she reckons my liver is getting a fair old battering. But I haven't had much in the way of symptoms for months so like you I'm very hesitant about having this done. However, if I had experienced what you have (and once it starts it tends to recurr) I would then opt for the surgery. Talk to your surgeon as this doesn't commit you to anything. I have until the end of April to decide whether I want an appointment with a surgeon to get an expert opinion (I also have chronic shoulder and back pain with mine). I have heard that if you leave it you can develop some serious complications resulting in a much bigger op. Let us know how you get on.

Di

• Posted

God I am so glad you said you can feel your gallbladder when you bend over I thought it was all in my mind. I know when I have been doing something like cleaning the back it really hurts. I haven't seen the results from my ultrasound yet so I don't know how many stones I have or how big they are just that I have them - good news is had another blood test this week and that came back normal.
  • Posted

I have not long had my gallbladder out.

I initially tried to survive on a fat free diet and all went well for approx 6 month. I then had a very bad attack which led to an inflamed gallbladder and it never really recovered as I kept getting inflamation.

The only option in the end was to have the gallbladder out as there was a danger of it rupturing.

I think once the gallstones get to the point where they are hurting you it is only a matter of time before you have no option but to remove it.

• Posted

Have the thing out smile
  • Posted

get it out - i put up with it for a number of years and was eventually hospitalised with jaundice due to gall stones - it took 3 attempts with ERCP before i was listed (ie 3 months delay before i got on the waiting list) 4 months later i was scheduled for surgery and the date was brought forward 2 weeks due to a cancelation!! i had an open convertion - my gallbladder was gangreenous it was fused to my liver and duedenum and the adhesions and absesses were prevelant (i had peritinitus and had my apendix removed as well) my consaultant told me i would have been fighting for my life if i had not had my cancellation appointment.......... lose the gallbladder asap ( i was an extreme case and dont wish to worry anyone) but if you are suffering get rid - before it becomes a serious problem!
  • Posted

I am glad I read these experiences,as I am scheduled to have my gallbladder out in the next week or so. I was diagnosed with multiple stones after an ultrasound 2 months ago Since then I have avoided another attack by cutting out all fat from my diet. No biscuits,cakes,and not a bit of chocolate has passed my lips!.I am on Lansoprazole ,which was prescribed before the gallstones were diagnosed,but there is not a day goes by when I dont have some sort of pain in my gut/abdomen. Sometimes it is in the upper region and I think its coming from my lungs,or heart. Other times its lower down and griping and makes me rush to the loo.I have always had a \"sensitive\" stomach,but nothing like the pain of gallstones.I was ,however, wondering if I should go ahead and get the surgery,as I havent had an attack for a while and the low fat diet is helping,but reading a few of your replies has made me realise that it is better to come out. There is a family history of gall bladder problems,and the consultant I saw has said that it could become inflamed and it would be a bigger operation,so I am preparing myself for the op.

It,s good to read some positive experiences after the operation,as a lot of people seem to be worse after it,and it was making me wonder if it was worth having it removed,as I am 69,and worried about having an anaesthetic etc.

Anyone else the same age? or over 60 anyway. I would be grateful to hear of your experience

Cheers

• Posted

Its just a matter of time [b:05feb25818]plain jane[/b:05feb25818], have the thing out before it really really hurts smile
  • Posted

Hi all

Have been to see surgeon today with view to having gallbladder removed, and he has convinced me that I do not really have any other option. He said that if left it would cause me nothing but problems and could cause pancreatits and worse still cancers. So within the next 6 weeks goodbye gallbladder! He also said that after the op I should be able to eat a perfectly normal diet - can't wait to eat chocolate again :D

• Posted

benji - good luck with your op, i hope you dont have to wait too long - let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

I have just had my appointment through today, and I am having the gall bladder removed on 21 st April. Of course,I have had no episodes since I went down the road of removal,and am eating a low fat diet. I have lost almost a stone in weight,which is great. However,I know that if it becomes inflamed it can cause pancreatitis and other problems,so I hope I can get through the next few weeks till it gets removed without any problems.Starting to get anxious now and my White coat Syndrome is going to let me down big time when they do my BP. I will let you know the outcome
  • Posted

Hi Plain jane

Good luck for your operation on the 21st - I'm sure you will be fine will let you know when my date comes through. I have lost 2 stone in 6 weeks with eating a low fat diet. I cannot eat potatoes, cannot tolerate skimmed milk and cannot drink coffee and yet can eat chillies and curries galore.

What sort of foods do you have to avoid?

benji

• Posted

plain jane, good luck for the 21st - i will be thinking of you - let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

I will let you know how I get on Thanks Benji,I am living on boiled fish,chicken, potatoes etc Can't have a curry or anything spicy. I got a great recipe book from Amazon for muffins All different varieties and no fat Only a small amount of cooking oil. I have been able to have 1 with a cup of tea.I eat a very light meal and try to have some fruit after it I can eat jelly and also sorbet as they have no fat in them So if you want a wee treat,get some of those. I get the fruit in jelly,and it has been fine so far.I have lost exactly a stone up to date,that's over the last 2 months.Hope I dont put it back on I will be sticking to a low fat diet anyway ,even after it's out but just not as rigidly.

Take care Hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Has a bad night last night First for a while Just shows you can't get complacent. I only had the pain in the upper right abdomen . None in my back or middle,but constant.I got up at 1.30 and took 2 co codamol,and went back to bed but was still awake at 3.30. Pain is still here niggling away this morning and I have taken another 2 co codamol,but this time I took the ones without caffeine. I awoke at 6.30 with palpitatons. heart was going like 90 very frightening thats about 3 times in the last couple of weeks that I have woken with that feeling .I am really anxious this morning ,as I know the gallstones can be cured,but heart problems are worse. What if I can't get the OP? I have already been diagnosed with left bundle branch block,which I have been assured by the doc's is nothing to worry about. You try googling it!! Feeling really low and anxious today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.