Gallstones- Is surgery really the answer?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 48, female and have had gallstones for about 8 years. I've mostly been able to control symptoms over that time. Attacks generally were similar, happening very shortly after a fatty or rich dinner. I'd get increasing back pain that lasted for around 5-8 hours, at which point I'd vomit and get instant relief.

I also had one bizarre attack that came about 15 hours after a meal. It came on super strong, had me boiling, then freezing, and writhing and moaning with pain. It only lasted about 2 hours and I didn't vomit.

Fast forward to this past fortnight and I've been mostly uncomfortable/in pain after one particular meal. I've vomited once, had diarrhea after most meals and have not eaten much. I've lost 3-4 kilos in 10 days.

In October 2016 I had an ultrasound which showed a 6cm stone. Ever since then I've been on a waiting list to see a surgeon. I'm having bloods done and a repeat ultrasound in the next few days.

Can a stone this big be removed through key hole surgery? I'm not keen on surgery as I hear so many stories of people still having trouble afterwards, but I also have fears of it rupturing, causing ongoing problems, cancer, bile duct blockage etc

Thoughts please?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Honestly I’d get it out if the problems are getting worse. I had my first attack (that I know of) in dec 16, second one in April 17 then kept having repeated ones until almost constant stomach and back pain until the August when the gallbladder was removed. Had chronic cholecystitis from the repeated bouts of acute cholecystitis. Yes not everyone manages and some have continuing symptoms and issues like diarrhoea but if the gallbladder is causing so many issues then it’s better out than in. Hope you get seen soon so you can get on the road to recovery xx
    • Posted

Thanks Scottie. How are you doing post surgery? I think I need to hear some success stories to make me feel better :-) .
    • Posted

Had my surgery more than 2 months ago. It took me a little over a week to walk properly. But now I'm fine and going regularly to the gym and working. I am pain-free and can eat whatever or drink alcohol. I'm your success story smile Many people who had successful treatment don't bother going back here to write because everything is now behind them and they're busy going through life as normal people. I decided to return just because I remembered how it was being in your shoes. Go for it. Wishing you a smooth recovery.

• Posted

Thanks George, I want to be you!

I understand that the healthy people with a success story are out living their lives, but the fact the other stories exist is a concern. I'm leaning towards the surgical while crossing my fingers really hard. Lol

• Posted

Don’t want to scare you but I’m 27 had gallstones for 2 years and my gallbladder was nearly ready to burst it was working at 7% xx
    • Posted

Thanks Danielle. It's stories like yours that make me think I need it gone. Can I ask how bad and how long had you had pain before you got to that point? Are you doing well now?

• Posted

I got my first ever attack 3 years ago I got rushed in by ambulance couldn’t breath I thought I was going to die and that’s not like! And then weeks went on kept getting the same attacks but not as bad as the first ever one I lost so much weight I went from 13 stone to 8.6 stone in 18 months! The woman who scanned me said she’s never seen so many stones in anyone as young as me I got it out in the end the op took 5 hours because my gallbladder was so inflamed I had fat built up around my liver and gallbladder so it took longer but honestly it’s the best decision I’ve ever done I am so happy I have more energy we’re as when I had my gallbladder in all I did was sleep couldn’t eat hardly anything I would always get bloat and severe pains! But honestly you will not regret iT! 
  • Posted

Hi Kim

Take this before you opt for surgery. The Germans use this on everyone with gall stones and kidney stones before going ahead with operations. It has a very high success rate and stops  them ever coming back. It’s calked Quebra Pedra. It’s found in the amazon rain forest 🌳. It’s incredible, please google it. People have had scans after being in it and the gall stones or kidney stones are completely dissolved. Good luck 😉👍. 

• Posted

Thanks Gilliam. In my research this hasn't come up. I'll look into it and discuss it with my doctor.

• Posted

Its not true. I'm in Germany and we don't use that here. smile Just saying.

• Posted

Are you a doctor George? The article I read this about was adamant that this is used, rather than taking out numerous gall bladders. Maybe you should check thoroughly before commenting. 😁 just saying. 

• Posted

Not a doctor Maam. Just a nurse with 6 years experience and 2 were spent in the Internische Abteilung. But what would I know right? Obviously your article is more accurate. 😉

• Posted

Hi George

With reference to the German doctors using it before opting for  surgery, I would just like to clarify, it was one German doctor and not all German doctors. I managed to find the article again. I should have checked the article thoroughly, hold my 🤚 hand up to that one. Anyway that’s neither here nor there, the main focal point is that this herb 🌿 is proven time and time again to break up gall stones and kidney stones and keep them from ever returning when taking this herb. It has helped many a person refrain from gall bladder surgery.  At this moment in time, I’m waiting myself to see a gastroenterologist, regarding pain in upper right quadrant, pain in mid back and pain in shoulder blades, light coloured bowel movements. Sounds pretty much to me like gall bladder issues, but I won’t know until tests have been done. I can assure you, if I do have an issue with my gall bladder, I’m opting for Quebra Pedra before I would consider having my gall bladder taken out. 😁

• Posted

Hi Kim, I think there are enough people on this site which clarify your issue.  However only you can decide and with your symptoms and issues make any decision.  Our Drs are here for our trust and even if I tell you my experience does not make it right or wrong.  I am glad I came on this site because I was feeling incredibly alone and with my Drs still not helping me but wasting time being referred backwards and forwards and being told its not GB when the facts point to it being so!   For instance my Brother has GB issues and he refuses to have his taken out but he rather likes to treat the issue in his own way???  I do not care whether I keep it or not but I do not want to live as I am and that is where I am stuck.   I feel alone and helpless, its not fun and its not nice so this has to be your decision?

My mother had the op and she was 80 and she siad it was the best thing she ever did so there you go, we are all different.

• Posted

Thanks Julian. My mum also had hers out in her late 70s with no issue.
    • Posted

I truly do not understand why the medical world is so neglectful about the many people who have this illness and refuse to act upon it.  My consultant at the very start refused to believe my symptoms are of GB and I have just learned that they have discharged me apparently yet nothing has been done about why my Pancreas is doubted.   I truly believe my whole suffering is neglect  When you read the comments in here it is easy to see that some win and some lose.  I know my consultant has read my notes and is making their conclusion based on wrong symptoms, this is proved by the people in here who agree with comparison illness, so it clearly shows why the NHS is in the mess it is.

Oh my mum was so scared about it, now when she came home the next day with only a tiny scar it was a totally wonderful thing to do and they even sent her stones in the post lol lol.   It is nice to read the positive things in here about this illness though because at one point I thought I was going mad.sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.