Gallstones no pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am due to see my consultant early April as have had ultra sound and detected gall stones and simple cysts on my liver. I have no pain with my stones the only reason it was detected was because I had a dull ache pressure under my right ribs for about two months. The ultra sound showed the above. I am 9 half stone and five foot five I changed diet to organic, low fat, no red meat milk thistle capsules omega 3 capsules and liver tonic. I have no pain but I worry because when I read the forums and discussions everyone is in so much pain befor and after surgey with sickness etc and now I'm worrying that I can't have gallstones and it must be something else. Is it normal not to have pain. I think I could live without having an operation just change diet lifestyle. But then I think what if I don't have op and that it is something else undiscovered.

I just worry as I have no pain when others do is this normal.

Thanks vickie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I changed my diet to very low fat when I was diagnosed and only had two bad attacks in four months. I had open cholecystectomy on 04/02/17 when they discovered a small growth on my gallbladder on histology. This happens to less than one percent of patients so it is very rare. I'm so glad I had surgery when I did as its probably caught the cancer early. I am now five days post op from a liver resection and going being discharged tomorrow. Please don't put off surgery because of pain issues. They make sure you get pain relief and my doctors and nurses have all been very kind. I was in HDU for three days where they cannot do enough for you. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi victoria, gallstones don't always produce pain and your consultant may decide to monitor you rather than operate because they aren't causing pain. Gallstones usually cause pain when/ if they start to move out of the gallbladder.

I suggest let your consultant guide you to the best option. Your consultant may decide to do other tests such as a CT scan to see if any have moved. 

All our symptoms vary from person to person so don't worry because you haven't got the same as everyone else. Alot of people don't even know they have gallstones and they're only found when tests are performed for other things. My mum has gallstones and she doesn't have any symptoms so they've left them.

Keep me informed with how you're getting on and with your appointment. Take care xx

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Yes I will let you know how it goes it is in a couple of weeks. Its just when you read people using all technical jargon and symptoms it worries you when you know nothing about it .. But like you say the consultant will know best and the best plan of action to take.

Thanks Vickie x

• Posted

Yes I know, I think I've read so much on the internet  as I wanted to understand but some of it is beyond me as its medical reports. 

Keep updating everything on here as it is all a bit scary I know but I found it comforting and supportive writing things on here.

Take care Vickie xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.