Gamabintin for fybromialgia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone had any good experiences with gamabintin for fybromialgia? I have read some scary comments on people having bad side effects. .??? Scared to try it...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Gabapentin and the brand name, Neurontin are prescribed by many physicians for managing Fibromyalgia pain. Even my 13 year old German Shepherd takes it for hip dyplasia and arthritis. Some people can tolerate it well, while others cannot. It's like any other med. One size does not fit all. In my case, I was prescribed for Fibromyalgia pain and it was really good for about a week or two and then I found myself getting irritiable and easily agitated. I had to get off of it. I found it changing my personality. 

Again, successful for some and not so much for others. Here's some info cut and pasted for you to examine. It's up to you and your doctor to determine if its right for you.

What side effects can this medication cause?

Gabapentin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

drowsiness

tiredness or weakness

dizziness

headache

uncontrollable shaking of a part of your body

double or blurred vision

unsteadiness

anxiety

memory problems

strange or unusual thoughts

unwanted eye movements

nausea

vomiting

heartburn

diarrhea

dry mouth

constipation

increased appetite

weight gain

swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs

back or joint pain

fever

runny nose, sneezing, cough, sore throat, or flu-like symptoms

ear pain

red, itchy eyes (sometimes with swelling or discharge)

Some side effects may be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

rash

itching

swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, or eyes

hoarseness

difficulty swallowing or breathing

seizures

Gabapentin may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Blurry vision, memory problems, ravenous hunger! Had to switch to Lyrica. With Lyrica blurry vision. Neither helped with pain.  
  • Posted

Hey. I took gabapentin for 3 months this year (Jan to March) for fibromyalgia. While I was taking it the only side effect I really noticed was that it made me even more tired than usual which was not good. However after I stopped taking it for about a month and I started looking back on those 3 months the whole time is a complete blur. I was literally walking around like a zombie but I didn't realise it at the time. In saying that, every drug reacts differently with each individual and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site who find it works well for them. I'm now on pregabalin and it has helped me (With no side effects) but there are some horror stories about it out there too. Unfortunately you have to try these things for yourself hun. The good thing is they always start you on the lowest dose and build it up gradually so as soon as you see a side effect you don't like you can back to your Dr straight away. Good luck x

• Posted

Hiya I’m on gabapentin I’m on four a day each at 300mg and doctor wants to increase more. I’m also on notatripline four at night at 10mg each. Co codamol aswell. I find them ok for me haven’t had any side effects. The one I do get side effects off is noratripline they make me so tired next day but they do help me sleep. I think you should try them because everyone is different and with tablets it’s trial and error to see which is best.

So good luck. Take care

• Posted

Hi

Been on a high dose 2400mg per day. Can't say I've had any side effects although everyone's different.

It's been a big help to me.

• Posted

Hi

With that high dose are you on any think else? I’m on noratripline

With 1200 of gabapentine. I feel really tired so I want to stop the noratripline because I think it’s them making me tired. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.