Gamma Knife feedback please

Posted , 6 users are following.

My 86 year old mother has been suffering with TN for the last 4 years. She has been through acupuncture, medication (which makes her really feel bad and living alone she is too unsteady to take heavy meds), homeopathic treatments. But, pain has slowly been increasing with fewer bouts of no pain, we went to a neurologist and are considering the Gamma Knife procedure and wondering about others outcomes who have tried this. Thank you for this forum!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would definitely recommend the Gamma Knife especially due to your Mom's age, I had the MVD surgery and it was wicked to recover from, I had it 1/23/17 and am still having discomfort at the surgery area not TN pain but from the surgery which she'll have non from having the surgery. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience, Mary. We are gathering comments and making sure my mom has information from others whom have experienced the procedure. She is ready to go tomorrow.....and we wanted to do a little research first before jumping into something we didn't know a lot about.

• Posted

hi,

Valerie35948

Make sure you read oldest forum members say on GammaKnife.

Prayer changes things

God Bless us and keep us and give us peace

• Posted

I had GK before the MVD. It worked for the better part of 3 months for me and the pain returned. However, the numbers bear it out as very successful and easily the most success for the least intrusion to your body. At her age, I would say it is the best option by far.
    • Posted

We were aware that the pain could come back after GK, but were hoping even if were a year or two it would be worth it. But, 3 months may not be long enough to warrant the procedure.

Thank you for your info!

• Posted

I think my experience is not indicative of the overall efficacy of the procedure. The success rate is not too far from that of MVD though usually not as sustained time wise. Most of the results I have read about show pain relief for more than a year and usually more like 5 years. Again, I think that, based on her age, it is the best method available.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.