Gamma knife noninvasive surgery- Worth it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys! I have officially been moved from neurontin to Tegretol this week and so far, it's made me very sick- I have zero appetite, and I'm nauseated all the time. Even on the baby dose I'm on (I'm supposed to be increasing it over the next three weeks). My neurologist basically said this was my last option before trying surgical procedures- beginning with gamma knife surgery. Have any of you had success with this surgery? Is it worth it, or should I just keep battling the medications?

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Erin - I am so sorry for the pain you are experiencing. I have one question and this is how my surgeon decided whether I should have MVD surgery or gamma knife.  Gamma knife is not invasive so there will be no cutting.  I sure would appreciate a response because I can talk further on this.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

Yes! What you are going through is why I gave up on the drugs and sought out a neurosurgeon who knew about TN. Found one and got surgery help which was not aweful called radiofrequency surgery...no cuts just a hole in my cheek which went away quickly, one night on Tylenol and weaned off the drugs immediately!
  • Posted

Just make sure you find a neurosurgeon with experience treating ATN.  This surgery is not something to take lightly.  It's your face, after all.  Find out success rates and what can happen if the surgery is unsuccessful.  Better to be forewarned and aware.  Don't overreact because you are flaring and very uncomfortable. By the way, Tegretol gave me horrendous headaches for the five days I took it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.