GAP/

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there a difference between an acoptic and a pause?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Betty47298,  An ectopic is a missed beat (hence the pause) then it catches up which can feel like a mild thud. This is what I experience even more so when I've eaten.  I've been told they are nothing to worry about.  Quite a few members of my family have them and they're all doctors!   Obviously, any concerns you may have should always be discussed with your doctor or cardiologist. Good Luck.

• Posted

*Ectopic*. This is where there is a beat intitiated from a different part of the heart. The next one from the normal part is 'cancelled out' so the re is a pause before the next one. In that pause, theheart slightly over fills with blood, so therefore the next beat is a bigger one, a 'thud!' or 'snap!'

• Posted

Thanks. In one way so far I have been lucky not experiencing these difficult symptoms even though plenty of afib whatever that means. Does anyone know how much afib is considered to much afib? Asymptomatic afib is scary in its own way although probably very scary with symptoms. Psychologicall affected anyway..not good. 
    • Posted

I've never understood how one can be asymptomatic, I'd rather be that way. The only symptom that would present would be shortness of breath on exertion. Too much Afib would be 24 hrs of it without any anti clotting therapy, such as clexane or Warfarin. 

• Posted

Just don't have all the symptoms I read about..I do have difficulty on exertion ..dancing...sort of going up steps...I can walk for several miles. do feel tired afterwards. If I didn't know better would think just getting old. 

• Posted

I'm 17 and can walk miles and exhausted after.. It certainly isn't an old person thing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.