Gap in between toes

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI All

I am in my 5th week after having my bunion removed. I am slight worried at the moment. The gap between my big toe and the 2nd toe was quite large when I first had the surgery. I have notice that the gap has got a lot smaller. I did ring up and the secretary and she said does it look like its bending in, I said its hard to tell because of the bandage. She then said well surgery doesnt always work. At no point did anyone say it might not work work!

I am thinking that maybe the gap has decreased because the swelling has gone down between all the joints etc?

Does anyone know?

I am continually checking the gap and its driving me nuts!!! I have done everything they said and I am feeling a little gutted!

Any help would be great.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina

I had both feet done at the same time 6 weeks ago yesterday. my casts were removed after 2 weeks. No

further dressing were put on them. the gap between my big toes and 2nd toe at the time the casts were

removed was quite large.(I did think how will I keep a flip flops on if it stays like that) The consultant at the

time did say he was happy for the toe to drift back naturally.. I'm guessing from what you say you still have casts/bandages on?

I went back yesterday and had a further x-ray and all is fine, he even said I told you they would drift back.

My big toes now slightly touch the next toes. When is your next appointment? He also said that to make

them bang straight would mean no shoes would ever fit.. I'm no expert but sounds like the receptionist

wasn't that helpful..

Hope that helps.

Donna

• Posted

Hi Donna,

Thank you so much for replying.

That has made me feel better, thank you.

I am still in a bandage as I have a K wire sticking out of the side of my foot, I didn't even have a cast in the beginning.

I did feel the gap was big but I didn't have much of a chance to speak about the op as it was not my surgeon who saw me when I had my stitches out.

Not much was explained to me or maybe I just want to know too much!! Your comment about the flip flop did make me chuckle because I thought exactly the same, thought I would have to throw mine away!

I have been so good resting with my foot up etc so I thought it couldn't be / hoped it couldn't be anything I have done!

All the best with your recovery

Tina

• Posted

oops forgot to say I am due back on 21st Jan to have the wire out.
  • Posted

Hi Tina,

Don't worry Tina. I have gone through the episode 4 months ago with K-wire. I am grateful now as my left

foot is no more flat feet and the collouse/corns are gone during the new skin formation. Apart from that no more pain and my walking style is more lady like smile

Ct

• Posted

Hi CT

Someone who has had the same as me! Glad to here you are better and it was worth it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Didnt realise that it may help my arch too that is an added bonus!

Thanks

• Posted

Tina. Hi how are you doing now you're another few weeks on? Just had my surgery today am neurotic and terrified my toes won't look any different!! I have to wait two weeks til stitches out to see. The bandages are too thick to get an idea. I do hope you're pleased? I'd love straight feet, having had bent big toes and bunions forming since I was about 8. I'm looking forward at the very least to finding shoes that will eventually fit me! V

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.