Gastric Band

Posted , 3 users are following.

HAVING CONSULTATION NEXT WEEK. Just wanted to ask a few questions.  I am 12stone, 5ft 1 and weight creeping up slowing found out i have Type 2 Diabetes, already have underactive thyroid, asthma and feel like its one thing after the other.  Do you think 12stone is silly to have a gastric band only i know i eat big portions and nibble all the time but i just cant seem to shift the weight and was hoping to get down to about 9 stone?  Im also worried about the fact some people have mention about how serious the band slip is if this happens.  Iv been told the cost is 5,450 and is a life time patient so even after the op they are always there and not just for a couple of years.  Please advise smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't think your being silly weight is personal and many would love to be your weight but they aren't you, I would only advise you to do loads off. research a band will cut down your portions but you can cheat and it won't stop your snacking as you can nibble between meals all the wrong things,I had my band 9 years ago and yes a lifetime patient but after 3 yrs you have to pay so I would check if u have to pay for fills etc 

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply, there is so much to take in.  So many positive & Negative comments.  But thanks again.

• Posted

Yes it's a big step and a lot off money with the potential to change your life but not always in a good way there is a growing number off people having a reversal to a bypass so you may want to look into that and cut out middle man so to speak , I went to a Nuffield private and they now very rarely do bands 

• Posted

And how have you felt during your lifestyle change?  Have you seen a good positive change?
  • Posted

wgt is a personal thing as has been mentioned above already and if you have already explored all the other ways to lose wgt and they have not worked then considering a band is a natural progression i would say - it is the least invasive of all the types of wgt loss surgery so is less risky than the ones which rearrange your plumbing and work by malabsorption as well as restriction (eg RNY wink and for the amount of wgt you want to lose the band could well be ideal, however, it is not a magic wand - just a tool to help you lose wgt and whilst it will restrict you from eating big meals, it wont restrict the type of food eat - that is something you will have to do with your will power - nor will it stop you eating snacks between meals - you will need to make healthy choices so it is not foolproof but then neither are any of the other types of wgt loss surgery either - i would say do lots of research and by all means look at the other types of wgt loss surgery however they do all have negatives and what you need to do is look at those negatives and decide which of them you could and could not live with - regain is possible with all types of wgt loss surgery as are medical interventions - what is right for one person is not necessarily right for another so bear that in mind and whilst you might hear horror stories what you need to remember is that the stories of people just getting on with their life and managing fine with their band or RNY or DS or whatever, go unnoticed as people often only post up or appear in the media when they have a problem.   I would enquire that as a life time patient does this include a life time of unlimited fills or defills or will there be a charge at some stage for these.   good luck,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.