Gastric band - anyone else had a fill and been sick?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello!

I had my band fitted October last year and I've had 2 fills so far.

Ever since the last fill 3 weeks ago, some days I only have to eat 3 mouthfuls and it's painful then I am sick! I am chewing properly and not rushing my food.

For example yesterday I was eating cod, which I think is ok!

Any advice would be great!

X

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I had my first fill yesterday ive now got 4 ml in my band and am back on shakes/soups for the next 3 days - so no real food yet - but at the waiting room there were a few people there who do suffer from sickness - every now and then.  especially talking of a slime that they throw up - apparently not like normal sickness but it just suddenly happens.  They said they go back to shakes/soups for a few days to make sure their band doesnt get too restricted incase its swollen.  bread seems to be a definite nono and some fish also.  make sure after a well chewed mouthful you wait 20-30 seconds before you attempt your next mouthful to give time for your band to let the first mouthful go through your band into your tummy. there are also a few closed group facebook discussion forums you can join for advice - where no one can see your comments x it may be that your band is too tight and you may need a small defill - ring your provider and let them know x  
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice.

Yes Its not like proper sick it's just the food ive just eaten plus really thick saliva! Sorry TMI!!

I have another fill on Friday so I will talk to him

Then!

It's not too often so it's ok!

Thanks again xx

• Posted

I find toasted bread better, not actual bread but more like toasted pittas!

I don't think potatoes are my friends or I can only manage one! Which is so sad! I love potatoes!! Xx

• Posted

i believe pasta is quite difficult too - and sprouts for some reason.  I gave a Bander a lift to my appointment who is local to me - she had lost 5 stone so far!  she bought a chopper from asda and almost minces her onion and mushrooms as large onion pieces wont go down - think im going to invest!  rice is also difficult - when she has a curry - she just has the chicken curry now and no rice.
    • Posted

oh some people also had problems with cod etc but fine with mackerel! 

• Posted

Oh wow 5 stone that's amazing! How long has she had her band for do you know?

I'm ok with rice as the moment but I guess it will all change until I'm at my full fill! X

• Posted

I think it was 2 years with her band, but she had a bit of trouble with other problems for the first 6 months and so her fills didnt start till at least 6 months later so I think she has done fantastic

• Posted

I have had my band for 3 years and still throw up from time to time, it is my fault as I still fall into the bad habit of not chewing enough and eating too quickly. Advise I was given is never miss a meal, as one is inclined to eat quicker and chew less when hunger, chew 20 times before swollowing and only eat approx 20 mouthfulls, cause after that you may feel restriction too and can throw up from over eating. Some foods also do not agree with me, so only need one mouthful, chewed well and it is still a no go...very bad pain between my chest and hey presto it comes up. So you will learn in time what agrees with you and what doesnt.

Of course if it continues on a weekly basis, then you band may be too fill and you will need to go for a defil.

I try and always have a warm drink before I eat, it opens the band slightly.

• Posted

Thank you Bandy - can you tell me how many fills you had before you found you had restriction?  ive had 1 fill so far and can still eat normally, just trying myself to keep an eye on my calorie intake.  
    • Posted

Hi Jebo

I had a total of 3 fills within first 6 months and have none since then and Ive had the band in for 3 years.

After the first fill, I too could still eat normal size meals but after 2nd fill I started to get the full feeling...tightness in the chest and then my 3rd fill I actually had some taken out on the same day as they make you drink a glass of cold water and a hot drink before leaving the medical centre and I could not get more than half a glass of water down and threw up, so they took 0.5ml out and since then never been back as I am fully restricted now. For example when I go out still till today, I order potatoe skins and can only finish 1,5 halves. I always order from the childrens menu or have a starter when I go out. In the beginning out of habit you do try and push it or you think you are starving and could eat half a meal but nope, I get extreme pain between my breasts and start to gurgle or my mouth fills with saliva. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.