Gastric band frustration

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys

I had a band fitted on 20th March. I initially lost quite a lot of weight pre and post op then it stopped. I had my first fill 2 weeks ago (I'm now at 3.8mls) and I haven't lost a thing . I'm getting really frustrated and left wondering what I'm doing wrong 😞is this normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi we r at same stage. I had my first band fill on Monday, now at 4ml. Am on liquid diet (but I haven't really followed that! Just having softer foods which is goin down well). Felt minimal restriction but don't think it'll make much of a difference. I've only lost 1stone so far, most of that was on the pre op diet. My nurse said it can take few months to start losing the weight. It is frustrating but have come round to the fact that it'll be slower process than I originally thought plus think it's better to lose slowly so as the skin doesn't become tooooo saggy!! Next band fill in 4 wks!

Hang in there, the weight will come off eventually x

• Posted

ittook me 3 fills before I started to feel some restriction.  I think this time is to adjust ourselves to the band and make sure we are making the right choices for food.  After each fill on liquids and mush is the quickest loss for that first week. Then its down to making sure we have the crunchy food which takes longer to chew and make sure we are eating slowly and healthy.  Make sure you chew at least 20 times only 20p piece size on your fork and stop eating after 20 minutes.  Once you get your head around this you will notice a difference x 

• Posted

I'm struggling with the 20 times, 20 pen piece, 20 mins etc.....does this become easier once you cam feel the restriction? I'm finding it difficult at the moment and I think it's because I'm not feeling an adverse effects when eating normally. Due 3rd fill tomorrow so hoping that I will feel something afterwards and that will help.... have lost just over 2.5 stones but mainly from pre op and then willpower....which I have now misplaced! Hoping for another kick up the but tomorrow.

Will also say that I've got a band buddy who had op on the same day and I think that has really helped - being able to send her a text and find out that she has the same issues as me. Very reassuring. smile

• Posted

willpower is definitelt a factor, i still have the odd slip up - chocolate being the main culprit, but i no longer eat bread - have the only 2 or 3 chips - one new potatoe etc rather than bread i will have a ryvita (for the crunch) or a wrap - but only half of one and then eat it very slowly.  bulking up more on salad ( not my fav) and having fat free yoghurt with mixed berry granola for breakfast - more crunch as you get more fills it will be a bit easier as bread starts to make you feel a bit uncomfortable as does too much pasta - mash goes down way too easy so dont have any now unless after a fill on the mush stage.  Its definitely hit and miss.  The thought of doing damage to the band fills me with so much dread that as soon as I have something I think is OK but not healthy it stops me in my tracks after a mouthful!  It will become more naturally to the changes x good luck x 

• Posted

Hi Nat

I was banded han 2015.

Ive had 3 fills up to 8ml in a 10ml band. Still not much restriction for me.

It seems most people need about 3 fills to get a good restriction. Some only need about 5ml. I must just be difficult lol.

I didnt think things would be as slow as this!

• Posted

Hi nat

I'm in the same position as you my pro op diet and liquids helped me lose 2 stone, but now after my first fill nothing felt no restriction what so ever, I'm due a fill on the 22 nd , I pray to god he gives me a good fill as iv put on 4.5 lbs in the last two weeks.its making me very upset.i havnt much will power that's why I had the band in the first place .x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.