Gastric Band inserted in France on 9 October 2015 - what should I expect?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi interested in a discussion here...

Has anyone else gone abroad and private for the procedure?

I decided to have a gastric band inserted as I have a BMI of a tad under 40 and have had for many years. The NHS were not interested, In my part of GB the NHS will only help if you have a BMI of over 60. 

So, after considerable research I opted for a private operation and to some money I went to France and had the procedure done there - but still had to find £3,300. 

If you have to go private I would recommend this route and happy to pass details of the company and process to anyone. It took a few days this way - day one travel to France, have consultation and blood tests, day two spend free, day three operation and overnight in hospital, day four discharged and sent back to hotel, day five final meeting with doctor and then back home.

I have started my liquid diet. So far, I have lots of wind,am a bit tender, but not much hunger yet. Will be taking multi-vitamin supplements, particularly iron and living off soup and yoghurt for the next three or four weeks.

When I went in to hospital I was 121KG (19 stone), I shall be interested and hopeful to see how I progress.

One startling stastic the consultant told me - five year failure rate is 85%!

Fingers crossed that I shall be one of the lucky 15!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is unlikely that you would need monthly fills for a year unless the fills were miniscule in which case I would be requesting larger fills less frequently because what you have described is going to cost a lot of money and I do not know anyone who has undergone such aftercare.   Most bandsters reach their ultimate level of restriction in  less than 12 fills but if you have been told otherwise it might be an idea to join a forum  or support group such as WLSinfo where you can chat to other people with a band to find out what the norm  is   - most band patients have fills further apart than every month  so it might well take longer to reach restriction– I had 2.5 mls put in a 9 ml band and 4 fills in my first yr with a further 2 fills over the next yr making a total of 6 – you might well need fills for a year but I doubt they would be at mthly intervals for a whole yr – this is quite an old thread so would be good if the original poster came back to let us know how he got on and how the fills went  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.